• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

June/July frontline features new RANGER

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
It's the kind of thing I could see encouraging my wife to use, but I'm content to just engage it consciously as needed instead.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
4A is not the same as regular 4Hi. It is only available on F150 Lariat trim and above. It operates more like AWD than 4 Hi but is not a true AWD and it uses traction control and other nannies. It can be used on dry roads at any speed without harming the components.
My 2016 Expedition XLT 4x4 has it. A few days ago I was driving on the interstate in heavy rain and standing water, so I flipped it to 4A at highway speeds for extra traction.

4A is a setting that I don't think was ever really explained well;

2H (4X2) - For general on-road driving, this mode provides optimal smoothness and fuel economy at high speeds. Sends power to the rear wheels only.

4A (4X4 AUTO) - Provides electronic controlled four-wheel drive with power delivered to the front and rear wheels, as required, for increased traction. This is appropriate for all on-road driving conditions, including dry road surfaces, but is especially useful on wet pavement, snow, dirt, or gravel.

4H (4X4 HIGH) - Provides electronically or mechanically locked four-wheel drive power to both the front and rear wheels for use in off-road or winter conditions such as deep snow, sand or mud. This mode is not for use on dry pavement.

4L (4X4 LOW) - Provides electronically or mechanically locked four-wheel drive power to both the front and rear wheels for use on low traction surfaces, but does so with additional gearing for increased torque multiplication. Intended only for off-road applications such as deep sand, steep grades, or pulling heavy objects. 4L (4X4 low) will not engage while your vehicle is moving above 3 mph (5 km/h); this is normal and should be no reason for concern. Refer to Shifting to or from 4L (4X4 low) for proper operation.
My basic understanding is that when you're in 4A, the power is being delivered to the rear. When the transfer case senses the rear slipping, it splits the power to the front.

It makes me think of an axle where the differential may only send power to one wheel under normal conditions, and both wheels when needed.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's the kind of thing I could see encouraging my wife to use, but I'm content to just engage it consciously as needed instead.
My wife's edge kind of does it, the rear comes on when the front wheels slip so much. The first winter after we met she proclaimed her car was really good in the snow because it has AWD but has never had to kick in. I got the book out to check if there is an indicator and aside from a slight bump as it comes online that you really have to pay attention for there is no way to know when it is in FWD or AWD.

There is still something of a disconnect there, I warn her to be careful because it is slick out. "I didn't think it was too bad, I got along fine"

Meanwhile I had to use 4wd to get up our ice covered gravel driveway and about fell when I got out of the truck...

My 2016 Expedition XLT 4x4 has it. A few days ago I was driving on the interstate in heavy rain and standing water, so I flipped it to 4A at highway speeds for extra traction.

4A is a setting that I don't think was ever really explained well;

My basic understanding is that when you're in 4A, the power is being delivered to the rear. When the transfer case senses the rear slipping, it splits the power to the front.

It makes me think of an axle where the differential may only send power to one wheel under normal conditions, and both wheels when needed.
The thing is it only helps you go, it doesn't help you turn or stop. And when you go great you don't know you might have probelms with the other two.

Its all neither here nor there, as long as I have a 2hi position I can live with it.

Last edited:

blksn8k

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
My Sport Trac has what Ford called Control Trac 4x4 in 2007. There is no 2 HI setting and 4x4 Auto is the default setting. It is RWD biased and only sends power to the front axle when the system senses a rear tire slipping. It works pretty seamlessly. The other dash settings are 4x4 High and 4x4 Low. In either of those two settings the system sends equal power to both axles.

The only time I have ever had an issue with the overall system was in deep snow (10+ inches). Every time I tried to go anything but in a straight line the Traction Control system would kill the power and apply the brakes in an effort to regain traction. This was happening while in 4x4 High. All it really managed to accomplish was to kill whatever momentum I had. Turning Traction Control off solved the problem.

Prado

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Has anyone been able to figure out what wheels come with what trims/packages, specifically in the sport and/or fx4 packages. The Lariat sport on the cover has a different wheel design than the one on page 9. The Ford website still has a silver lariat sport with a machined finish wheels, which would be my preference, but is not mentioned anywhere in this preview.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals