• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Softest, most pleasant to shoot .380?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Dad's .45LC Marlin is like that with cowboy action loads, kinda fun watching the bullets go out.

Biggfoot44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 2wd
Transmission
Automatic
I am notorious in my despising of .380 . It combines the worst of the cals on either side , with no upsides .

If you want any effective gun in that size envelope , there are a plethora of polymer frame subcompact 9x19 available . Any of them would be better than any .380acp .

If you want a semiauto smaller than 9x19 on purpose , get a .32acp . Bullet type for bullet type , a .380 would give about a 2% improvement in ( difficult to define terminal effectiveness ) at the cost of 50% more recoil/ muzzle flip . Not a good trade off to me .

BUT , since the OP asked , if the criteria stated included the usually implied " and inexpensive/ great value " , then indeed Bersa would be a prime candidate .

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Didn't see this till now. My pick would have been the Sig p238 in 380 or p239 in 9mm. I have a 238 and absolutely love it, but rarely carry it. Still, smooth firearm, and one of the few autos that I'll actually carry.

My usual rotation is high standard 22 mag Derringer in shorts weather and when fishing (22 mag shotshell), Colt Detective Special for all other weather, and Colt Anaconda for open carry (legal in PA). Just my $0.02, but I vastly prefer a revolver to an automatic due to reliability and variety of ammunition selection. I handload as well, so that plays a part in it.

My other $0.02 is to spend the money and always buy quality from day one. I look at firearms with the expectations that they should unquestionably outlast me, and to buy something that is going to be the deciding factor whether you live or die when you need it.

Nobody gets all that excited when gramps gives them their old Iver Johnson or American Cycle Works revolver. It's nice, and fun to shoot, but not exactly an heirloom.

When gramps hands you his Colt Python or his Dan Wesson, or even better, his grandfathers Colt Lightning, you have it to pass on like he did.

Biggfoot44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 2wd
Transmission
Automatic
I have my Grandfather's 1906 Win 97 .

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It isn't bad to not use heirlooms or collectables for defense, if they are used in defense they will be taken by the police with questionable care and/or "lost"

My other $0.02 is to spend the money and always buy quality from day one. I look at firearms with the expectations that they should unquestionably outlast me, and to buy something that is going to be the deciding factor whether you live or die when you need it.

Nobody gets all that excited when gramps gives them their old Iver Johnson or American Cycle Works revolver. It's nice, and fun to shoot, but not exactly an heirloom.

When gramps hands you his Colt Python or his Dan Wesson, or even better, his grandfathers Colt Lightning, you have it to pass on like he did.
Depends, did gramps take me shooting as a kid with the Iver while the Lightning sat in the safe so I didn't get it all fingerprinted up? Guess which one means more to me. Street value doesn't matter much as I have no intentions of ever selling something I consider an heirloom, it is the memories that make it.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
It isn't bad to not use heirlooms or collectables for defense, if they are used in defense they will be taken by the police with questionable care and/or "lost"

Depends, did gramps take me shooting as a kid with the Iver while the Lightning sat in the safe so I didn't get it all fingerprinted up? Guess which one means more to me. Street value doesn't matter much as I have no intentions of ever selling something I consider an heirloom, it is the memories that make it.
Definitely agree with the first part. I guess I didn't make the point of "today's defense gun for you is heirloom to the next generation."

Also, I suppose the heirloom thing is different for me. Dad's mantra has always been "no safe Queens. Use them."

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Careful with the open carry. Ever since the PA governor declared a “state of emergency” over the opiod crisis, open carry is technically prohibited. I’ve yet to hear a case where is was enforced but it’s there none the less. Some obscure clause in the Commonwealth code that not many know about. The PA Pistol and Rifle Association and Firearm Owners Against Crime put out warnings about it after the Governor made the declaration.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Also, I suppose the heirloom thing is different for me. Dad's mantra has always been "no safe Queens. Use them."
Same... not a colt in the family though. Great grandpas savage pump .22 that ride with him on the tractor shooting supper as he farmed is a heirloom despite being sold for $10-15 new though.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I have a Glock 42 (.380) that I've taught my daughter to shoot, and she shoots really well with it. It's a great gun.

When my daughter was looking at the new guns, they tried to steer her towards a 9mm telling her the ammo was cheaper, and would be cheaper to shoot. Bad advice from a gun range. The recoil of the 9mm in a small gun would make it harder to get back on target in a rapid fire situation.

I'd like to get her a .32 to shoot. I think she would be even more accurate with that.

Biggfoot44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 2wd
Transmission
Automatic
Did she try shooting a 9x19 subcompact ? Ironically most small .380s have More recoil/ muzzle flip than the small 9mm . ( One of the reasons I am notorious .380 hater .)

Baby Glocks just do NOT fit my hand at all, but the S&W Shield in 9mm is very accurate, and controllable .

FWIW , my daughter prefers her 2.5in S&W M66-4 .357 magnum .

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Stay away from the cute, pocket models if you love your women. Small and light is good and all if you know what you are getting into and can handle it. Start with a compact or subcompact pistol first so you don't scare them into not wanting to carry or use it. Hell, I don't like using those little pistols. Some of them actually hurt to shoot!

Biggfoot44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 2wd
Transmission
Automatic
My compact .380 hurt my hand worse than my .44mag .

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My compact .380 hurt my hand worse than my .44mag .
Hilarious you mention that.

I tried out a couple of my customer's pistols the other night. .380 Ruger LCP, 9mm Glock 17 and a off brand SAA looking .44mag.

Stupid little Ruger was hard to keep a hold of with a finger and a half on the grip. The more I shot it the worse I did as I think I was anticipating it flying over my shoulder. I would probably do better with practice but it was a very unnatural feeling pistol. 9mm was nice but the grip was weird. '.44mag felt like home (all I have is old style revolvers) It barked/bucked but I shot it the best. I would probably do better with the 17 with practice but I am just not used to that style of sight or grip at all.

Biggfoot44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 2wd
Transmission
Automatic
With my first Glock circa '86 , took 2 or 3 boxes of ammo to get used to it . In '88 a Glock Armorer handed me his personal pistol, and said " Try this ! " . Imeadately afterwards , I handed him mine, and told him to do the same thing .

It was the standard 5.5lb Connector, with a NY-1 Trigger Return . If you are an experienced DA Revolver shooter, you will love it . If you've only shot bottomfeeders , you might appreciate the subtly improved reset and less of " boing- boing " feel , or might just shrug .

The shape of the factory Glock sights are perfectly usable . The white dot front, white outline rear is matter of taste . I despise white dots, and any pistol do equipped makes the imeadate aquaintence of a $0.99 bottle of red nail polish . White outline rears I can take or leave without caring either way . YMMV

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Double action lol.... my hoglegs are black powder.

The big chunky sights are different, mine are blade and groove.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals