• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

235/75R15 - Will They Fit Spare Tire Holder?

Aoresteen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Now that I've settled on 3.73 gears in my 8.8" rear end I'm getting closer to upgrading my wheels to 15" rims and 235/75R15 tires.

I'm wondering if a 15" rim with a 235/75R15 tire will fit in my 1990 Super Cab XLT spare tire holder? It looks tight as it is with the 215/70R14 that in it right now.

Thanks!

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
it should i have 235s on my 94

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I had bought a set of those once and pretty sure it will fit the tire holder, but it might be tight. My 205/75/15 went on it with no problem...but not much room to spare....so to speak.

Worst case is you will need to carry it in the box for a while...which you will find is actually better and easier to get to when you are on the road or on a muddy trail...

I blew out a rear tire in a junkyard one spring and I was in the middle of a mud hole when it happened. Instead of trying to change the tire there I drove on the flat to a dry spot...not recommended on aluminum rims...

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
I am pretty sure my truck has that size spare. Should fit with no problems

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I am pretty sure it will fit (but, not positive). My 02 has a 235 70 15 under there and my 08 has a 235 75 16 under there. I don't think there is any actual structural differences between any of these trucks.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
The tire holders on older Rangers like my 88 were small...or smaller than the later versions. Stock tires on a Gen I I believe were 14"...Gen II might have been 14" also but I managed to put a 15" 215/75/15 under there...that's probably what I was indicating as fitting but not sure if there was much room for anything bigger.

It was in Gen III or IV that they started using 15" stock tire and the 235/70/15 were common...and the tire carrier was probably modified at that point...

So, there is a bit of difference...not much, but enough to make it worth measuring before finding they won't fit...

And if anyone is considering doing anything off road with their Ranger with stock tires or whatever, should consider pulling the spare out before they hit the trails...or having a way of securing it in the bed under those conditions...

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I am not understanding why you say to remove the spare from its normal place when going off-road. I have never had a problem with the spare tire off-road and I have been off-road a lot. The spare tire I have under there now is a 32" tire and it does not even fit all the way into the recessed area at the front of the tire. I make sure it is up as high as it will go at the rear to give maximum clearance. I bump the hitch receiver occasionally but have never bumped the spare tire. I know there are conditions that would create problems with the spare tire but they are not difficult to avoid or overcome. Heads up off-roading saves a lot of damage.

If you are going off-road to haul ass and not be concerned about beating up the truck, then maybe relocating the spare tire is a good idea. At least then you should have a good spare tire if you needed one. Maybe you should also have a good place to carry spare parts.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Just my experience, or lack thereof...I see many off road vehicles with the spare and jack in a place where it is easily accessed...not to mention many have the old style bumper jacks that are much better in many ways for that sort of thing...on level ground...

redhurricane

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
215/70-14 is the equivalent to 25.9" dia x 8.5 wide tire. 235/75-15 is 28.9" dia x 9.3 wide. measure what you have now in the carrier for room. 3" taller and almost 1" wider may be pushing it.

Aoresteen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Well, I got my new tires & rims - 15x7" and 235/75R15 and the spare does NOT fit in the the spare tire holder under the truck. The reason is I have a CURT tow bar installed and the tow bar blocks the tire from mounting. I still don't know if it would fit without the tow bar. I'd have to put the truck on a lift to see if it will go in but why? If it did fit, out on the road I would never be able to get it out to use. I put the 215/70R14 spare back in.

Since 235/75R15 tires did come from the factory on Gen II (89-92) Ranger 4x4 Super cabs I am now convinced that they will fit. But with the tow bar in the way I'm going to have to come up with a plan B.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals