• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford Ranger Slated for Return to US in 2018

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
No, it is not coming back. My brother-in-law has been with Ford for 30 years building trucks and he said this is not true. They are still 'assisting' overseas exports with some manufacturing work but the Ranger will never be back for the U.S public to buy.

This 'Ranger Coming Back' has been going on way too long. Ford has never ever said it will bring back the Ranger here for the USA. It will only assist exports in some ways that they can help out (Mexico for example).

TxDarth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The article also said it would be manufactured in Michigan - along with the possibility of the rebirth of the Bronco II.......

Slammin Sam

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When GM announced the rebirth of the Colorado pickup, I thought Ford would follow suit with a redesigned Ranger. Seeing the Colorado's size, not full size, but pretty close, I doubt Ford will try to compete. The current full size offerings get better gas mileage than the Ranger. The profit margins are higher in the full size than the smaller trucks, so lessens the incentives to produce the mini trucks.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
From both of these articles, it looks like this all hinges on whether or not the UAW and FoMoCo can come to an agreement. Hopefully that will be the case, and from the second article, it looks like the Michigan plant will possible close if this deal is not finalized, that could make the the UAW a little more flexible. Granted I have seen them drop the ball before, but we can only hope.

In the mean time, I won't hold my breath, but I would love to see Ford have another small/ mid size truck. with the new engines and transmissions, they should be able to make it much more fuel efficient than the Rangers that we drive.

AJ

Ranger Dave (B25)

U.S. Military - Veteran
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'10
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Don't vote Democrat.
So they're 'bringing back' the SportTrac and calling it a Ranger. That's what I see anyway.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Dave, I am hoping that is just a configuration and that you can also get a super cab and regular cab, just like the F150.

They won't make much profit in the fleet sales with just the crew cab

AJ

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
They could always offer a version of the 1.0 ecoboost

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
Or better yet a 2.0l Ecoboost. But since it's not actually a Ranger and is 7/8 of a full size then I probably wouldn't be interested.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The only good news I'm getting from any of those is talk about the Bronco returning. That rumor has been going for over a decade though. If the Bronco came back as an updated form of the original Bronco and a true competitor for the Jeep Wrangler I'd buy one first chance I got. It'd have to be a body on frame design, a removable hard top, and a 4wd/2wd transfer case with low range. Not another soccer mom AWD uni-body SUV like they turned the Explorer into.

If the Ranger came back it would need to be no larger than the previous one for me to be interested. I'd really rather see it come back slightly smaller, similar to the Courier. The return of a true compact pick-up. I already know that won't happen though. With what I use them for, I'm happy with the size of the last Ranger, and if I need more I'll step up to a full size. If the Ranger comes back as a mid-size I won't be owning one.

1qaz

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
If the Ranger comes back as a mid-size I won't be owning one.
I agree. Nor the $20-30k price tag that'll go with it. I hope they find similar magic as they did in the '80s and '90s. Make it too big or too expensive and you might as well upgrade to the F-Series.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I agree. Nor the $20-30k price tag that'll go with it. I hope they find similar magic as they did in the '80s and '90s. Make it too big or too expensive and you might as well upgrade to the F-Series.
That is $20-30k less than a current fullsize...

And the last generation of Ranger was pushing $30k pretty hard towards the end.

If they don't look stupid and are priced right I might be game, 7/8 of a half ton would be about like my '02 F-150. I like its size.

Last edited:

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
The one in the article is beyond ugly, and nothing more than a re-badged explorer sport trac. That's part of why Ford dropped the ranger, people want to use a truck for a family car so they've moved onto crew cab trucks dumping the ranger off the radar for many...and making more sales in the F-series trucks instead. Ford then decided they would stop building the Ranger and leave people the Sport Trac useless truck bed nonsense. Then they realized the Sport Trac was useless as a truck and even stopped producing them as well.

With the ridiculous vehicle prices unless Ford can figure out how to build a good compact truck like the Ranger for less than $20k there's no reason to even bother.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals