• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1999 Ford ranger 3.0/4.0

Frankallday

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi I was wondering what parts are interchangeable with the 3.0 and the 4.0 because I'm looking for some headers and the only thing I keep finding is headers for the 4.0

ratdude747

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/70R15
Hi I was wondering what parts are interchangeable with the 3.0 and the 4.0 because I'm looking for some headers and the only thing I keep finding is headers for the 4.0
Having owned both at once (wife wrecked the 3.0, new one was a 4.0), here's what will interchange:

• DFPE sensor
  • Oil Pressure sending unit
  • EGR valve
  • Coil pack
  • Crank sensor (I think)

Otherwise, not much else. They're two completely different engines from two different sets of designers with two different goals in mind. The Vulcan 3.0 was an engine all it's own with no other engines in it's family (no relation to the 3.0 duratec or any other V6 or V8 ever made).

3.0 parts are hard to find. Headers? Forget about it, unless you know a good welder and are doing custom. Tom morana has some 3.0 parts but they're very expensive and honestly underwhelming from the looks of things. 99 is a better year to find parts for; my 1995 was an odd transition year for the ranger 3.0 (1995-1997) and the exhaust manifolds (stock) and EGR tube were a b**** to find. By 99 most of those parts were unchanged until the engine was discontinued around 2009 IIRC. Still, the 3.0 was mostly a low-end taurus and windstar engine that was sold more for low cost and reliablity in such vehicles, not performance (as opposed to the 3.8L Essex and later the 3.0L Duratec). In the ranger, they were even less common as they were neither particularly fuel efficient or powerful. Honestly a lackluster truck engine, if I'm honest.

If you want performance in a 3.0, not to be a dick, but your best bet is a V8 swap if you can at all. That will open up so many other options and with a 302, the sky's the limit (the only better motor for mods IMHO are the Chevy small block and LS, but that's purely based on aftermarket part selection).

Otherwise, good luck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals