• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

engine dies

werewolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 & 1999 & 1
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0&3.0&2.9&351c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
take life day by day
I have a 1999 3.0 manual five speed ranger. the last few weeks for two or three times a week when i stop at a light or stop sigh the rpm drops real low and dies. it starts right back up. It doesn't do it all the time, it idles good at around 700 rpm. it runs good going down the road. any input would be helpful. it's been a good little truck, 3.0 is down on horse power compared to my 02 - 4.0 but with the manual five speed it's a fun little truck. thanks in advance.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
Has the check engine light come on? if so please pull the codes as these will help with diagnosis.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
How often does it die when at a stop? If it isn't consistent then I would check the battery cables and make sure they are clean and tight, then I would replace the IAC and clean the MAF sensor. If it still dies then I would check fuel pressure (when it dies) and make sure you are getting enough fuel pressure. Mine would do the same thing. Starts right up, drives good down the road but as soon as I let off the gas to come to a stop it would die. Sometimes it would start right up and other times it would take 10-15 minutes. I ended up replacing the IAC, ignition coil, plugs, (wires looked ok and clean) cleaned the MAF sensor, cleaned the throttle body, cleaned any plug connector I could reach, replaced the ECT sensor and sender only to have the same issue happen again. Ended up being a bad fuel pump. Replaced fuel pump and haven't had an issue since. So I would start with the basics and see if there are any codes.

werewolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 & 1999 & 1
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0&3.0&2.9&351c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
take life day by day
3.0 dies

Bgunner i have not seen the check engine light come on. My son has a OBD II tester i will get with tonight and see if there is a code. about a month ago the check gauge came on and the oil pressure gauge was jumping up and down. i replaced the oil pressure sensor. it's been ok after that.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If this is a 93 engine and has not been swapped to a 95 or newer model then it is OBD I and the OBD II scanner will not work.

Have a watch of this video on how to manually pull the codes on OBD I Ranger: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVbDHOiuKpQ

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
I have a 1999 3.0 manual five speed ranger. the last few weeks for two or three times a week when i stop at a light or stop sigh the rpm drops real low and dies. it starts right back up. It doesn't do it all the time, it idles good at around 700 rpm. it runs good going down the road. any input would be helpful. it's been a good little truck, 3.0 is down on horse power compared to my 02 - 4.0 but with the manual five speed it's a fun little truck. thanks in advance.

doesn't this sound familiar to me.....

humour me, try this

remove the A/C harness plug from the A/C compressor, when driving select any other setting other than *floor* & *off*for the HVAC knob, do you still experience this same stalling anomaly? .....or does the PCM command a proper throttle overrun allowing the idle to drop to approx 1000 & then return to idle without stalling?

My 98 experiences (auto trans) this very same issue, it's in the PCM, when *floor* is selected the PCM will allow the rpm's to fall to near 0 when the truck comes to a halt & the gearshift is put in park, start the truck again & the rpm will return to idle, the next time I'm out and go thru the same process the PCM does the very same thing, BUT it won't do this when any other setting on the HVAC knob is chosen. For now i've disconnected the A/C compressor (don't need it this time of year) and the idle management is fine, I stay away from *floor*.

I will have a closer look at this in the spring. It is very peculiar.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
Bgunner i have not seen the check engine light come on. My son has a OBD II tester i will get with tonight and see if there is a code. about a month ago the check gauge came on and the oil pressure gauge was jumping up and down. i replaced the oil pressure sensor. it's been ok after that.
my 2000 has had the oil pressure jumping for over 12 years. once warmed up it stops jumping.
still runs great (for a 3.0)

werewolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 & 1999 & 1
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0&3.0&2.9&351c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
take life day by day
OBDll Test

Ok Mr. Bgunner i hooked up my obd ll and i have no present fault codes. i checked the stored codes and found po455, po401, po136, po141. But there old codes. i bought this about a little over a year ago. been good little truck had some vacuum leaks at first went to manual hubs took out that part of vacuum system. but if one of these fault codes is still there wound't the check engine be on.

ratdude747

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/70R15
You might have a bad IAC valve or bad IAC valve wiring. It's sticking closed intermittently, causing a no-idle, but as soon as you re-start, if memory serves, the IAC gets a wide-open command, which is breaking it loose from the stuck spot. When this happened to me in my 4.0 (which uses the same IAC valve system), not even the wide-open command at startup would move it (it was completely frozen), but have seen these fail intermittently (like on my wife's Escape, similar valve, would only fail when the ambient air was hot and PO thought it was an evap issue) so your symptoms could indicate an IAC issue. In all cases, I never saw a CEL associated with such. Not saying this is for sure the issue, but it's another possibility to explore.

If this is the case, you need a new IAC valve. At least for me, cleaning them never helped and if anything made it worse. What ever you do, do not move the valve piston manually- that, in my experience (3 used valves) breaks them internally and makes them never move again.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
PO455 : Evap system gross leak detected <-- Possibly a loose gas cap?
PO401 : EGR insufficient flow detected

PO136 : refers to the second oxygen sensor on Bank 1
PO141 : O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1, Sensor 2)

Before condemning the O2 sensor make sure that the evap system and EGR systems are sealed properly as the EGR system can cause the O2 sensors to be off causing the code.

as mentioned before your IAC can also cause idle issues as well.

EDIT: No, just because there is code a stored dose not mean that the CEL would be on. The system will turn the light off if after a predetermined amount of cycles have passed and the circuit did not fail more than the acceptable amount of times in that time frame. This suggests intermittent issues, hard to find some times.

Last edited:

werewolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 & 1999 & 1
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0&3.0&2.9&351c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
take life day by day
dang PO141

I cleaned the ICA valve and it has helped it has only died twice. I deleted all fault codes. The only one the comes back is PO141 i ordered a new down strime 02 sensor and put it on still comes back. But only in pending codes and does not make the check engine light come on. I have also ordered a new IAC valve to see if stops the dieing. also i don't run a muffler at all, from the cats back straight pipe. would this be a problem with no back pressure. it runs ok and sounds ok just dies every ones in a while.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
Not running a muffler, although loud, will not cause the CEL to come on.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
I ran straights of the cat with no muffler on my 99 3.0. I never had a problem with it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals