• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2003 Ranger bucking

Preston240sx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ok heres the low down 2003 ford ranger edge 3.0 flex automatic bucks under load going 60-70 mph pretty much when the transmission should kick down but doesn't

Engine Has 215,000 but alittle bit of refresh
new piston rings
new Heads
new Radiator
New heater core
new Iacv
new motorcraft spark plugs
new plug wires
new coil pack
new Cam shaft syncro
new fuel pump
new cats
new injectors
New motorcraft temp sensor 2 wire

so heres also a problem has a engine light for a small evap leak my mothers neighbor put this new fuel pump in and it hasn't been right since .. you cant put gas into the tank with gas pump held wide open it clicks off ..its a real pain in the ass i understand im going to have to do everything this guy did but has anyone ever heard of maybe the tank not being able to let the pump pull the gas out quick enough because of an clogged or failed evap component?

anything helps

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
A bad Evap component can cause poor running but I haven't seen one cause a form of vapor lock.

As for filling your tank, the issue is in the fill tube running from the bed to the tank. There is a breather tube inside of it that if not installed properly, kinked or pinched, will prevent air from escaping the tank causing a backup of fuel as an air bubble tries to escape the tank. Pull the filler neck bolts and clamps on the hose and remove and reinstall the filler neck and hose properly.

Does this issue happen at all RPM/speed or just the 60-70 you mentioned?

EDIT: please check your codes again to see if there is a new one other than the evap code.

Last edited:

Preston240sx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
mainly higher speeds 60-70 i know the tranny has 215k on it so i'm curious if the tranny is making it known its due for a rebuild . it idles great no miss fires or anything i can rev it up and down but on the freeway if you try and put a more then cruising load on the pedal is will jerk occasionally

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
This is starting to sound like a transmission issue and not engine, but this is drawn off of the info you have given. Hopefully someone with more transmission knowledge than me can help more on that.

Preston240sx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
well since the engine is sorta refreshed i was looking toward the tranny also we are looking to get the evap code cleared and next week and the next move is a tranny rebuild

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
215k is the upper end of a 5r44e's life. What does the fluid look like? Whats the service history? Has the fluid been changed regularly? It sounds somewhat like it could be the torque converter clutch sticking but its just not possible to give a diagnosis for transmission issues like this with limited info and no codes (I'm assuming the OD off light is not flashing to indicate it does have a DTC code for the transmission). Its worth noting however engine codes can affect the transmission. The evap issue might be throwing the transmission programming off (unlikely but possible)

Last edited:

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
215k is the upper end of a 5r44e's life. What does the fluid look like? Whats the service history? Has the fluid been changed regularly? It sounds somewhat like it could be the torque converter clutch sticking but its just not possible to give a diagnosis for transmission issues like this with limited info and no codes (I'm assuming the OD off light is not flashing to indicate it does have a DTC code for the transmission).
SSSSHHHHHH! Don't talk about transmission fluid maintenance someone might get all flustered and chime in. :D

Last edited:

Preston240sx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Fluid looks pretty good not burnt or anything I have no history on the tranny or truck bought it last yr for my mom for 500 bucks fully loaded edge Florida truck so rust at all like I said I gave it a refresh but I’ve never done anything with the tranny my mom has put about 12k on it has a whining in 1st gear but has always had that .. no flashing lights just the small evap code .. I could change the tyranny filter for a long shot I suppose maybe a flush

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I wouldn't flush it with 215k and no service history, pan drop fluid & filter change only. Throw some lucas in it while your at it and it might keep it ticking a bit longer. Im not a fan of most additives (fuel, oil, or transmission) but I have seen lucas help get some extra time out of worn transmissions. It doesn't fix anything, just bandaids it for a while.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals