• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

oxygen

Fast Fords

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Buick
Engine Size
3.1L
Transmission
Automatic
alright..i am in the middle of doing this right now - i need to figure this out to continue though - my cat has a split on the top, an my buddy said if i can get the cat off he will weld it up for me. So there i was last night, got the bolts cut from the header to the flange and all the hangers off etc. but ran into this problem:

HOW THE HELL DO I REMOVE THE OXYGEN SENSORS?!?!? :shok:

I dont think they will just come out of the pipe...we are talking 13 years of heat and oxidation so i don't think they will budge. Any other options are appreciated...

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
heat the bung thats on the exh pipe and try to work it out, its not gonna be a 1-2-3 thing tho probably, mine dont look all that healthy either after all theses years lol

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I was able get mine out with a wrench and some PB blaster...after 240,000 miles..

On all the vehicles Ive had, the o2 sensor has come out rather easily.

pocket-rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 cyl.
Transmission
Manual
Mine got changed at 170k and I didn't have much of a problem getting out. But then again, the truck had just been driven, so it would have been along the same lines as heating the bung with a torch. I also changed one on a Civic last week for a friend. It would only go about a quarter turn until I got tired of messing with it and ran the car for about a minute or two to heat it up. Then it came out just fine.

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
only problem i see with doing that is you dont want the sensor and pipe to heat evenly and expand evenly, if you heat the bung quick and remove before the switch gets too hot and expands thats your best bet, but like i said i havent taken one out on something old yet

Fast Fords

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Buick
Engine Size
3.1L
Transmission
Automatic
if stuck in an emergency situation, could i snip then re-wire the wires leading to the sensors? or is that a poor way to go about it. My buddy said to follow the wire and disconnect from above, but...sounds like a PITA to me :icon_confused:

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
the connector cant be more then 6 inches about the sensor, thats a good way to go about it, i would do that instead

Fast Fords

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Buick
Engine Size
3.1L
Transmission
Automatic
right on guys, thanks for the speedy imput! now i can finish this off tonight and get my ol ranger back on the road by the weekend! :yahoo:

Fast Fords

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Buick
Engine Size
3.1L
Transmission
Automatic
alright, so the saga of my catalytic converter continues. Has any one had trouble with removing the bolt holding the transmission mount in the bushing on the frame? looking for any tips or tricks..don't wanna cut anything out..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals