• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Mexican Quad Cab importable?

loyaltotheranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well if it couldnt pass a safety inspection because of the a pillar you could always put a full cage inside

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
What about cutting off the front end of an american ranger and welding it to the back half of a 4-door?

Danny74

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Don't wait till it's broken to fix things
What about cutting off the front end of an american ranger and welding it to the back half of a 4-door?
3 years and not one person replied to this comment. I Crewcab compact ford ranger. I've been dreaming of this possibility for years now. Probably since the thread was first started. I Believe by now though it could be imported as a classic, so it wouldn't require anything but the basic safety inspection. So the A pillars, impact, & emissions standards don't matter. Most states require nothing more than basic safety inspection for classic vehicles that are imported. . Assuming that there are Rangers that are four doors in the 1998 and earlier models. Does anybody know when they first started the crew cab models down south america?

On one of the other Ford Ranger forums I saw somebody selling the bed off of one of these. It was a lot shorter. It turns out the seller actually imported one of these, and lengthened the frame so we could fit the 6 ft bed from our rangers. I tried to ask him about importing and whatnot but he would not answer or reply to any of that. He was in Colorado I believe. I also saw a four-door for sale down in Florida that I was discussing with somebody on Craigslist about getting butt the day I was to purchase the ticket to go down there he told me he sold it to somebody else. And I also saw one old ad from somebody in Arizona who had a four-door that was red and was sold. On another Forum site regarding Ford Ranger is somebody snapped the picture of one in the parking lot of a supermarket. He said he had hung around for almost 2 hours hoping to speak to the owner but nobody ever came out and eventually went home. So there are a few of them that got into the Americas so I can't imagine being too difficult. The most difficult thing would be finding somebody who spoke Spanish that could help you cure one down there. The junkyard idea is great but I don't think there are any junk yards down there. At least none that I've been able to find online. Hence the necessity for a Spanish-speaking helper.

I would love to get a diesel one if I'm going to go through all that effort of importing it. At least that's what I initially thought, but the current prices of diesel fuel make me no longer desire that.

Last edited:

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
i don't think its as easy as people make it sound. i live very close to the border and know some people have tried and it took some money to go through everything and do all the inspections required to get it into america. i think it has to be brought up to the american spec for its year

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
if emission is the problem, then i just register it in Oklahoma or wyoming,(no emission testing), but i wonder, being the VIN shows it being from mexico, wonder how the banks, registration, would go.
True. Buy a vehicle in Oklahoma, they don't even come out and check to see if it has wipers or the lights work. Take it from me, been there done that. Even when I moved here from commiefornia in 2002, they didn't leave the building to check anything on the five vehicles I brought here with me. Every year, go in, pay your money, walk out with a new sticker. It's so easy, even a caveman can do it.

Oh, it's cheap too. I pay less for five vehicles here, than I would pay for my 2004 LIGHTNING in CA. Last year, my Ranger cost me $29.00. Lightning cost me $49.00. 2006 M109R $59.00. 2008 B-King, $69 I believe. And my 2021 Honda CBR600RR is right around $300.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
/\ that used to be south texas when i got out of the army. someone got in trouble so now they actually check though

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Oklahoma even allows vehicles on the road that surprise me. Those four wheel open frame thingamabobs? Lights and a license plate, out driving on the road. Ratrods with no fenders. Friend recently bought a 2018 Shelby 427 Cobra, registered as a 1965, no smog stuff at all, dual four barrels and open side pipes. Registered no problemo. It rattles windows when he comes to my favorite restaurant/bar.

I'm thankful, because the only reason my 98 Ranger is still running is due to the deletion of the EGR and EVAP. Was running like crap before hand. Converter doesn't convert anymore, can tell by the smell.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
/\ that used to be south texas when i got out of the army. someone got in trouble so now they actually check though
You should see some of the vehicles on the roads here. Missing headlights, tail lights, some don't even have lights at all. Missing entire fenders. Saw a 2005-2009 Mustang the other day, the entire windshield was clear tape. Whole windshield was shattered and held together with clear tape. I couldn't even see the asshat driving it through the tape. Scary as shit! People driving around with those temporary paper plates that are only good for 30 days, can't even read them they've been on there so long.

Last year, saw a dude driving a late model Charger at dusk. Not a single light on the front of the vehicle. Looked like he was scrambling for home.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
thats nuts

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Oklahoma has tag agents, not state tag offices. I suppose anything could get through there but it isn't generally the rule. I think the tag agents pretty much buy the position but not positive

Oklahoma also has some horrible registration rules, like if you let one set behind the barn it must be registered, or paid in full with penalties upon next registration

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
texas is people who get licensed to do it and you go to their shop to and give them 7 bucks to do your inspection. it used to be 12 when you got a separate inspection sticker but texas combined registration and inspection into the one sticker so they lowered the price of he inspection and the shop doing it keeps the money is what it seems like.

there is a lady who bought an old broken down gas station and moved her rv onto it and all she does is vehicle inspections from morning till evening. she is quick and checks everything and doesn't give people breaks on stuff, which i like. she seems to make a really decent amount of money because she rolls cars through there all day long

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Oklahoma has tag agents, not state tag offices. I suppose anything could get through there but it isn't generally the rule. I think the tag agents pretty much buy the position but not positive

Oklahoma also has some horrible registration rules, like if you let one set behind the barn it must be registered, or paid in full with penalties upon next registration
Maybe so, I don't know. I don't have a barn to let a vehicle sit and rot behind. LOL!!

But, most vehicles sitting behind barns are pretty old. Which means cheap. Like I said, my 98 Ranger is just $29.95 a year. If it was never going to run again, I wouldn't pay it. They can come tow it away for me. ;-)

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My Explorer still got good air bags, one of em even inflates some of the posts on here. Someone who wrecked their old 96 could still use it, but doubt I ever will

It still has good differentials and usable body.

One thing I find impressive is it has 5 doors and 10 windows plus a 6 foot luggage rack over 25 years old and not a single leak

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
3 years and not one person replied to this comment. I Crewcab compact ford ranger. I've been dreaming of this possibility for years now. Probably since the thread was first started. I Believe by now though it could be imported as a classic, so it wouldn't require anything but the basic safety inspection. So the A pillars, impact, & emissions standards don't matter. Most states require nothing more than basic safety inspection for classic vehicles that are imported. . Assuming that there are Rangers that are four doors in the 1998 and earlier models. Does anybody know when they first started the crew cab models down south america?

On one of the other Ford Ranger forums I saw somebody selling the bed off of one of these. It was a lot shorter. It turns out the seller actually imported one of these, and lengthened the frame so we could fit the 6 ft bed from our rangers. I tried to ask him about importing and whatnot but he would not answer or reply to any of that. He was in Colorado I believe. I also saw a four-door for sale down in Florida that I was discussing with somebody on Craigslist about getting butt the day I was to purchase the ticket to go down there he told me he sold it to somebody else. And I also saw one old ad from somebody in Arizona who had a four-door that was red and was sold. On another Forum site regarding Ford Ranger is somebody snapped the picture of one in the parking lot of a supermarket. He said he had hung around for almost 2 hours hoping to speak to the owner but nobody ever came out and eventually went home. So there are a few of them that got into the Americas so I can't imagine being too difficult. The most difficult thing would be finding somebody who spoke Spanish that could help you cure one down there. The junkyard idea is great but I don't think there are any junk yards down there. At least none that I've been able to find online. Hence the necessity for a Spanish-speaking helper.

I would love to get a diesel one if I'm going to go through all that effort of importing it. At least that's what I initially thought, but the current prices of diesel fuel make me no longer desire that.
Per wikipedia it looks like the SA crew cab came out in '98 so if you jump thru all the hoops you can legit import one now.

There are companies that import Land Rovers/Land Cruisers from around the world, maybe contact them and ask? It will probably cost a small fortune though...

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I don't remember the exact details but doors open after a vehicle becomes a certain amount of years old. Others like Mastodon Auto have been importing South American vehicles but they only do it with vehicles that are so many years old. So, if you can find out what that threshold is, that will help you get going. Of course, I'm sure there is all kinds of regulations and paperwork that still needs to be met and completed in order to get it done.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals