• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Likely another bad exhaust seat

Ranger305

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 Vulcan
Transmission
Manual
So a few months ago, I dropped an 07 Taurus engine in my '92. I did head gaskets and such while it was out. The original '92 had 260k relatively trouble free miles until it overheated and blew a head gasket while someone else was using it.

This engine has always had what feels like a miss between 800-1800 RPM. I've replaced/rebuilt the ignition system, no change. I pulled, tested, and cleaned all injectors, no change. Compression is within tolerances, though #4 is a bit off. 4 holes are 145, one is at 142, and #4 is at 132 and took a little longer to build. Vacuum gauge is rock solid at 21 or 22psi IIRC. Plugs look roughly even on color, but I'm suspecting #4 has a leaking exhaust valve. I'll be doing a leak-down test at some point to confirm, but this seems to be textbook valve recession. It's not bad, just annoying that I know something is off.

I did the 07 motor as this was supposed to be fixed by 06... I guess not.

Here are my options:

1- Junk yard head and take my chances based on visual inspection and maybe pour liquid in the chamber and see if it leaks out. This option would have to wait for cooler weather.

2- clean up my '92 heads assuming they check out, and bolt them on. I'm assuming they would bolt on, but I'm assuming I would need to use the older style pushrods?

3- have the heads rebuilt or get new heads. Really more than I want to invest either way unless machine shop rates are less than I think

4- Drive it until it gets worse. It's a weekend truck that I ave been slowly rebuilding for the last 28+ months. Any danger in it doing damage to anything other than the head?

Any thoughts or answers to the questions in #2 ad #4?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals