• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lifted 98 ranger 4x4 how to return to stock

dgeorge

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75/R15
Recently bought a 98 4x4 that looks like it has a 3 or 4 inch lift installed. I know for the rear I just need to pull the blocks out. Correct? What has me baffled is the front end. It looks like they added a longer bolt to the stabilizer bar, but I am not sure. Does anyone have a photo of the stock front end for a 98 and up 4x4 so I can kind of compare them. I am not sure how to post photos, but if anyone wants to see them I can email them to you. Anyone that can recommend how to return it to stock please let me know.

JamesH

Reaction score
I'm no expert on 98 rangers, but I've done a few lift kits. cadet2lthenry@yahoo.com shoot me some pics and I will see what I can't tell you. BTW when you pull blocks out of the rear you will want to get new shorter u bolts.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
and shorter shocks

dgeorge

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75/R15
JamesH, I've sent the photos to you. Thank you for offering to take a look at them. I know if I remove the rear blocks I have to use shorter U bolts. I won't need to replace the shocks since they are stock and stretched almost to the max. That is one of the reasons I want to go back to stock on it. Who ever did the lift did it as cheaply as possible. I think the way it is lifted caused the parking brake cable to break and the front drive shaft to go out on it. So figure it would be best to put it back as original as possible before I fix the other things.

JamesH

Reaction score
From the looks of it, the sway bar links are longer than OE, they should be like 3 inches long. Unless there is a drop block on the bar mount. But Rock Auto should have or for cheep, those bushings look like they have seen better days. Look on top of the strut for a block, that usually the cheep lift setup.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

dgeorge

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75/R15
Thank you for confirming what I suspected. I went ahead an ordered stock replacements from Rock Auto. Not sure on the blocks on top of the struts, I will have to check on that when I get home this eveing. Thank you again for all of your help.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals