• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

!997 Ranger 3.0L

warren80

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys I just bought a 1997 Ford Ranger 3.0L and its got a couple broken manifold studs broken. Any advise would be appreciated thx

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My advice would be to replace the studs :)

you will need to remove the manifold, but you might be lucky and have enough of the stud sticking up from the head to get a pair of vice grips on it once the manifold is removed.

You will probably break a few more while doing so.

worst case scenario you will have to drill them out. use a lot of cutting oil and make sure to keep the drill 90 degrees from the surface. then chase the hole with a tap to clean up the threads.

Plan on getting a whole set and just replace them all. problably need to replace the gasket as well.

Regards,

AJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B3000
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you have access to a welder you can remove the manifold and gasket to allow you room to weld a nut to the end.

This will accomplish several things hopefully to your benefit. The heat will help break the seal and the nut will give you a grip point.

Lots of PB Blaster couldn’t hurt.

Ray

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If you have access to a welder you can remove the manifold and gasket to allow you room to weld a nut to the end.

This will accomplish several things hopefully to your benefit. The heat will help break the seal and the nut will give you a grip point.

Lots of PB Blaster couldn’t hurt.

Ray
I have had next to no luck with this method.

I also would not recommend vise grips.

I like this style stud extractor. I have had very good luck with it, and it does not need a lot of the stud sticking up, less than you need to get a good weld for a nut. I specifically like the Titan brand. Not all of the brands have the same teeth on the jaws. The Titan one aligns with the most common stud threads giving a better grip.

RB7 Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 litre
Transmission
Manual
A little heat with a map gas or propane torch will help loosen stubborn rust, the weld on nut trick works well also , or the extracktor, just remember when you go to loosen instead of just pulling on it try to "rock it", tug in small increments, I have found this to work best

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals