• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L dual coil pack no spark on half

Hightechredneck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2.3l with 8 plugs, only two coils on each side fire. Cyl 1&4 on the intake side, cyl 2&3 on the exhaust side. I thought all the coils where supposed to spark right? It runs perfectly, the problem is its really weak. It feels like about 75hp:headbang:, 70lbs of torque. Does anybody know whats wrong with my coils? Or what makes it so weak?

sheltonfilms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2.3l with 8 plugs, only two coils on each side fire. Cyl 1&4 on the intake side, cyl 2&3 on the exhaust side. I thought all the coils where supposed to spark right? It runs perfectly, the problem is its really weak. It feels like about 75hp:headbang:, 70lbs of torque. Does anybody know whats wrong with my coils? Or what makes it so weak?

Swap coils and see if it changes. If the situation flips sides you got two bad coil packs where only half the coils are firing. 1 and 4 and 2 and 3 use the same internal coil in each pack, so if that coil goes out it takes out two plugs.

If it does t change sides then you need to look at your coil trigger wires for correct signaling.

Also note the exhaust side (iirc) only fires at startup until the engine gets started then both sides fire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hightechredneck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I dont undertsand what you mean? If i plug the coils in backwards the other sides fire. So i know the coils work

sheltonfilms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I dont undertsand what you mean? If i plug the coils in backwards the other sides fire. So i know the coils work

What do you mean by plug coils in backwards?

Hightechredneck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If i put the plug for the intake coil in the exhaust coil the two dead plugs fire on that side.

sheltonfilms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
If i put the plug for the intake coil in the exhaust coil the two dead plugs fire on that side.

So you are swapping just the control plugs and leaving the packs and spark plug wires alone? Is that correct?

sheltonfilms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic

That sounds like the control signals for the packs aren’t working right. What year is your truck? (I’m using the app so I can’t see your year if it’s posted).

You are checking for spark with engine running?

sheltonfilms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Its a 1994, and yeah running.. How do i check the signals?
Here is a diagram for your truck. If you go to the last page you will see both coil packs. The PCM grounds out a coil and this causes two cylinders to fire at once (1 and 4 and 3 and 2). You can disconnect the connector connect the multimeter to the power feed (red/light green wire (middle of connector)) and the other probe to one of the two ground switch signal wires (pin 1 or pin 3). When the car is cranked should see the voltage switch between 12 and 0 volts indicating the PCM is switching on and off the coils. Remember only one coil pack is firing during start.

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd/DownloadPdf?id=137861

Hightechredneck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I tested the intake side with the key on and they both read 12v. I started the engine and they both read 14v

sheltonfilms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I tested the intake side with the key on and they both read 12v. I started the engine and they both read 14v

Values change while running? Maybe need a more sensitive multimeter to see the change.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals