• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The all-new 2019 Ford Ranger can carry serious gear

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Limited slip uses a clutch pack or mechanical system to restrict (but not prevent) one wheel from turning faster than the opposite wheel on the same axle.

A locker mechanically binds them together so that they -must- turn at the same speed. If one is one ice or hanging over a ditch, the other can still pull the vehicle forward.
I thought a positrac rear end turned both wheels in the same direction at the same time. and limited slip turned the wheel with more traction.
See above

OK so a quick search on the web taught me a little. I now know the difference in a positrac and limited slip and a locker. But still wonder if Is it like the old 4x4 where you had to get out and LOCK the hubs manually for the front wheels to turn under 4wd. So now the 2wd rear end can LOCK like that? but from what I understand it is now electronic and computerized. how could the rearend locker be manually locked, hydraulic or cable actuated?
Posi is a GM name for limited slip. Ford used Trac-Lok. Both accomplish about the same thing using clutches. Some vehicles like the FX4 Level II Ranger used gear typle limited slips that didn't have clutches.

The wheels that slip to wheels that grip stuff is done by a computer using the brakes. When the brake is applied to a spinning wheel power is applied to the other wheel on that axle that isnt slipping.

All you do when you lock in the front hubs is tie the front wheels to the shafts that make the wheels turn. Most newer trucks have this operated by vacuum so you don't have to get out to manually lock them in.

Locking hubs have nothing to do with locking differentials.

This might help:

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/four-wheel-drive.htm

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Great read. Thnx 85_Ranger4x4. this answered a lot of my dumb questions. sorry to bog down the thread.

Big'Un

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ram
Engine Size
5.7 Hemi
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
$hit Happens
So, IOW, you just take some youtubers word ?
Did you watch the video ? It doesn't take an engineer or a genius to see the inherent weakness of the 2.3EB cylinder design. When compared to an LS-1 or WRX-STi block, it becomes quite obvious to the observant....watch the video :icon_thumby:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Did you watch the video ? It doesn't take an engineer or a genius to see the inherent weakness of the 2.3EB cylinder design. When compared to an LS-1 or WRX-STi block, it becomes quite obvious to the observant....watch the video :icon_thumby:
So how do they stay together in everything but a Focus RS which has several headgasket related difference compared to every other application?

And isn't the 3.5 Ecoobost the same open sleeve design?

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2142065&page=all

Big'Un

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ram
Engine Size
5.7 Hemi
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
$hit Happens
So how do they stay together in everything but a Focus RS which has several headgasket related difference compared to every other application?

And isn't the 3.5 Ecoobost the same open sleeve design?

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2142065&page=all
I didn't realize the 3.5 had the same block design...interesting... Maybe 3 floating cylinders are stronger than 4. The idea of an area of such high stress just hanging there, with no connection to the head (pins or bolts), doesn't sound like a good idea. :dntknw: I also read the Ford GT uses the same 3.5 block as the F-150, and I haven't heard of any issues with those either, but I'm sure they aren't driven much.
I may be starting to see the light. It would be nice if they did add some type of support to the upper end of the block around the cylinder :icon_thumby:

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
One reason for went to aluminum bodies on their full-sizes. One truck that weighs a thousand pounds more than another can pull a thousand pounds less.

Ford switching to aluminum bodies had absolutely nothing to do with towing capacities. Ford is simply getting their technology straightened out ahead of time, to adhere to future fuel efficiency standards set by the federal government.

Any increase in towing capacity is simply coincidental.

GB :)

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
It is the 2.3 EB. If you search youtube for "Focus RS engine failure", there are literally dozens and those are only the ones that made vids and uploaded them.... If you go to 5:15 in the video, he explains the head gasket issue and why it failed and why the block design is flawed. Until they redesign the block, so the cylinders aren't floating, I won't buy one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nan3LURIq3k
I didn't realize the 3.5 had the same block design...interesting... Maybe 3 floating cylinders are stronger than 4. The idea of an area of such high stress just hanging there, with no connection to the head (pins or bolts), doesn't sound like a good idea. :dntknw: I also read the Ford GT uses the same 3.5 block as the F-150, and I haven't heard of any issues with those either, but I'm sure they aren't driven much.
I may be starting to see the light. It would be nice if they did add some type of support to the upper end of the block around the cylinder :icon_thumby:
Interesting video and counter point. I wonder if it's and issue with the amount of boost with the Focus? I don't know what the Mustang hp level is but the Explorer is less (285 hp vs 310hp - drawing from memory). I know engines not designed to be turbo boosted have head gasket problems if boosted so much. Perhaps an apples to apples comparison here?? I'm not an engineer, so just a basic auto mechanic and aircraft mechanic thinking here and might be off base.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Just a thought. If the motor is your car'so
heart, wouldn't you want a big strong heart that doesn't have to work too hard to get you going, or a little bitty heart with an added device forcing it to do the work of a bigger heart?

Last edited:
Reaction score
lol what could you haul with that pathetic 5 ft bed? whatever happened to a single cab with a long bed?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.
OK so a quick search on the web taught me a little. I now know the difference in a positrac( or spooled, I have seen the spider gears welded together for the same effect, I think ) and limited slip and a locker. Just like the old 4x4s where you had to get out and LOCK the hubs manually for the front wheels to turn under 4wd. So now the 2wd rear end can LOCK like that? but from what I understand it is now electronic and computerized. how could the rearend locker be manually locked, hydraulic or cable actuated?
And why would you want a non-locking ( open ) rear end in a truck? so it looks like a motorcycle did a burnout when it was really a Ranger. lol
Positrac is just one manufacturer's name for a limited slip type differential.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.
Ford GT isn't driven much ? They are in just about every race I see televised.

Big'Un

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ram
Engine Size
5.7 Hemi
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
$hit Happens

Big'Un

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ram
Engine Size
5.7 Hemi
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
$hit Happens
Just a thought. If the motor is your car'so
heart, wouldn't you want a big strong heart that doesn't have to work too hard to get you going, or a little bitty heart with an added device forcing it to do the work of a bigger heart?
BINGO !!!!! My thoughts exactly. Well said sir (or ma'am)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am betting they need all the coolant contact they can get to keep them cool. Support legs or pins would create hot spots

It sounds like the focus blocks were not made correctly, he says as much in your video saying that they are warped without being overheated. It doesn’t matter how you make a block, if it is warped you are going to have head gasket problems.

The 2.7’s had oil consumption problems for awhile because their blocks (and valve guides in a separate issue) were not made correctly too.

Ford switching to aluminum bodies had absolutely nothing to do with towing capacities. Ford is simply getting their technology straightened out ahead of time, to adhere to future fuel efficiency standards set by the federal government.

Any increase in towing capacity is simply coincidental.

GB :)
Uh huh. Superduties that are not measured too?

I said one reason, not the only reason

We were discussing the F150's.
I have been talking about the F150 Raptor not the F22 Raptor.

I have been saying Raptor all along that the FX4 Ranger is getting the same system as the Raptor.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals