• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need thoughts/opinions on a project idea with a 5.0L Explorer

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I have a chance to get a 5.0L Explorer for $800ish that needs front suspension parts... Is that a good deal?

Many people would say to SAS it, which would be easier than my thoughts but it's what everyone does... I'm thinking D44 TTB with long radius arms and a spring over in the rear (maybe with F150 8.8 so the bolt pattern and width matches), and like 35" tires or so...

I know making a crossmember for the axle mounts and radius arms is a bit of work, but not out of my capabilities...

So, thoughts on this plan?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
No rust? Good running engine, trans, t-case? Grab it! I think that would be an awesome machine, and if the four door, a great way to bring the family.

Richard

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
It's Oregon, there's almost nothing that's rusty unless it's from out of state or from the coast... my mechanic friend is the one that found it... he says everything but the front axle is good

I gotta re-evaluate my $$ situation but I'm gonna think hard about getting it as it seems like a decent deal

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Yeah that sounds like a darn good deal! I'd jump on it if it were me.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Ok, I'm going to bring this up again... I've found a few V8 explorers and Mountaineers locally, that deal fell through from before but taxes started coming in and I want a new toy...

Ok, apparently most of these V8 explorers/mountaineers (ok, all I've seen so far...) are all wheel drive, which won't work for my plans. The question is what are my transfer case options? I'm guessing I can go to an older F150 or Bronco and get hopefully a manual transfer case out of one of those along with the front drive shaft and hopefully the front suspension since it would have everything I would want anyway... Would that transfer case bolt up? Rear drive shaft work?

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was looking for a v8 Explorer for awhile and gave up. Decided on a Focus instead because I have too many trucks as it is lol. But I like your idea. I'd avoid a 4.0.

Anyway, were you on i-5 headed south in Albany about 2-3 weeks ago with a quad in the back? I was driving over the overpass and glanced down and thought it looked like your Ranger. I was talking to some guy in an auto parts store a couple years ago and he said he knew you. He said that your dad owned the stereo shop in Albany...Wasn't sure if that was true or not?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
That's a negatory on both counts, my Ranger's been parked since early August since I blew the engine... hopefully it'll be together in a couple weeks though... My dad was a farmer in Stayton for a while then drove a log truck, and has been living off the system for at least 10 years in Aumsville... I wouldn't doubt you've seen one of my friends around Salem at an auto parts store though :), ones a mechanic in a shop by the airport in Salem, another works on a lot of cars at home, and another has his own shop working on cars when he's not fighting fires in Independence...

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's a negatory on both counts, my Ranger's been parked since early August since I blew the engine... hopefully it'll be together in a couple weeks though... My dad was a farmer in Stayton for a while then drove a log truck, and has been living off the system for at least 10 years in Aumsville... I wouldn't doubt you've seen one of my friends around Salem at an auto parts store though :), ones a mechanic in a shop by the airport in Salem, another works on a lot of cars at home, and another has his own shop working on cars when he's not fighting fires in Independence...
Crap, I read your thread about your 2.3t throwing a rod and didn't even think about it.

I don't live in Salem, I live between Salem and Albany. My gf is from Stayton. So we have probably crossed paths multiple times just didn't know. I usually don't drive my Ranger though.

Does your friend work at that diesel truck shop on the west side of the airport?

Hopefully you get your 2.3t up and running again. What are your plans with it? Are you happy with it?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
the 440x series or a 208 jeep with a ford input will work good for a part time 2 speed case. the f 208 can work.

that is if you do the ttb or sas conversion...the 44 serie will be best stock

i definitely will build another ttb style setup. dont know when.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Hagan,

He works at the Auto Team off of McGilcrest, he's the head mechanic I believe.

Yes I'm happy with the 2.3L, the plans for now is just to get it running reliably again, I'm taking some short cuts on some parts, but trying to use parts that are solid to last at least a couple years for me to get my garage together. Everything in the engine was in great shape other than the rod bolt that let go :).

Bobby, thanks, yes my plans are TTB D44 up front and wheel spacers in the back to get all 4 corners to 5x5.5 bolt pattern and similar width, I'll probably end up in a junk yard soon to try to find an oil pan for my engine, so I'll see if I can find a transfer case, and a back window for my F350... those break too easy :)

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Going to look at a '00 Explorer limited with 5.0L tomorrow and will probably drag it home... I say drag it home as it apparently has spider gear issues, he says it drives but makes some clunking noises, not worth the chance to drive it home, that's what trailers are for... It also apparently has a solenoid or valve issue in the tranny as it doesn't have top gear or lockup or something, and a couple small interior issues but the leather is in good shape from what he says :)

I think I have the parts somewhere in my stash to fix the rear end as long as the problem is just the spiders, at one point in time I had a spare set of spiders for both open and LS 31 spline 8.8's, so I should still have them somewhere...

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I drug it home tonight... so apparently the build will be a go!

First step is to dig into the rear axle, I believe I have the spider gears somewhere but hopefully that's all that's wrong... might try that this weekend but I won't have a title for a few weeks, and I want to get my Ranger going before I get too distracted.

I just had a thought, I'm pretty sure this thing has a rack and pinion for steering, right? If so, would it be possible to modify the linkages so the drivers side went to the passenger side spindle, and vise versa kinda like a swingset steering? Or would I be better off getting a junkyard Ranger steering box and putting it on the frame where I want it then making myself a swingset steering setup?

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
You'd be much better off putting a box on there if the plan is to graft a TTB suspension onto it... I suspect it would be about impossible to line the steering up with the pivots trying to do it off the rack, and additionally the rack wasn't designed to have force put on it from that angle either.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Fair enough, that's what I was thinking anyway :)

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I believe I have a front axle tracked down, craigslist is a great thing :)

Here's a pic of when I was loading up the spoloder for the ride home...

Would the steering box from a '93 F150 be appropriate for this build? If I remember right it's the same box as a Ranger so it should work, I can probably get a good deal on the box when I go get the front axle...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals