• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ecm?

Helton87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have an 05 ranger that stopped running because it was overloaded with fuel, so bad that gas is pouring out of the exhaust. After taking off the intake and testing the injectors the resistance reading is normal and within range. But I did realize that when you try to start, all 4 injectors will receive full power with no pulse:dunno:. Is this a bad ecm/ecu? It has new MAP, fuel pump, and coil pack. Thank you in advance!

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
anytime the key is turned on the injectors are at full power, 12v, but that power can't go anywhere or do anything until the computer grounds the injector. that allows current to flow which turns the injector on for the duration of the grounding pulse. the pulse is kinda quick, meters don't pick it up very well. one side is always at 12v, the other side is also at 12v except during the firing pulse when it drops to zero. if a rodent or other malfunction damaged the wires so an injector is grounded that injector will turn on and stay on. a computer malfunction can also turn them on full time.

the resistance reading only checks the coil inside the injector, it cannot tell you if the pin is moving properly.

I routinely overfill my 2005 with 2.3 I even rock the truck to get more in. owned this Ranger since new, currently has 337,500 miles and never had an issue from overfilling.

Last edited:

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
MAP = manifold absolute pressure
MAF = mass air flow sensor

2 completely different sensors.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There are only two ways for gasoline to get into the intake from 1998 and up
Fuel injectors and Pulse Damper
Pulse damper is at the end of the fuel rail, it is a rubber diaphragm that absorbs pressure waves created when fuel injectors open and close, when Ford switched to 60psi fuel pressure this was needed.
1997 and earlier used 30psi pressure and had a Fuel Pressure Regulator on the fuel rail so didn't need a Pulse Damper.

The Pulse Damper has a Vacuum hose attached as a safety device, if Damper should leak then gasoline wouldn't drip on hot engine parts, it would be sucked into the intake...............stalling engine, lol, or make it run Rich and set rich codes

Yes, with key on all injectors get 12volts on the Red wire, Red wire just daisy chains from one injector to the next
PCM(ECU) has a Ground wire connected to each injector, it Grounds an injector to open it.
With key on PCM will unground all 4 injector wires(2.3l), so you can test each to make sure it is not grounded, if one is then start moving wires around to see if that wire is shorted to ground somewhere

Before pulling intake I would have pulled out all 4 spark plugs and then cranked the engine, if an injector was stuck open you would have seen alot of fuel spraying out that one spark plugs hole.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals