• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need help finding a Ranger

jakeg1999

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hey everyone, newbie here. I've recently made some changes to my current vehicles, (sold my f350, got an Accord). Basically I am looking for a cheap ($3-$5k) truck for some around the house needs and more so that I can throw my mountain bike in it and take it to local trails.

I am trying to learn as much as I can about the ranger, and am open to suggestions. Here is what I am looking for:

#1 Reliability, good history
Engine (power doesn't matter much here)
Trans, most reliable

Extra cab a bonus
Low miles also a bonus.

Basically I am looking for the most reliable years for a truck that will pretty much get rarely used.

What years, trans, and motor should I be looking for?

I am also open to other trucks, brands, etc. (F150??)

Thanks in advance!!!!

hank857

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well there are all kinds, toyotas, nissan as well as the ranger, so it will all depend on what catches your eye. Out here in az there are all kinds some a little more than what you quoted, some less. I have a 94 SC 2wd, 330000 miles with the biggest issue having been the transmission (5 speed). Have had some other issues such as gasket leaks have r&r'd water pump, radiator, injectors and common replacement items as tuneups, tires etc.

It is the 4.0 ohv, read these sites for comments on the OHC engines, 3.0's and the 4 cyl's. A lot of folks get the 4cyl for mileage, I have found there is little difference in the overall mileage so I say get the 4.0. I can tow a small trailer to dump, take stuff to other places around town if needed and do whatever I need. Use the F350 if I need real big ability.

Check local craigslist, then expand search to surrounding areas such as phx, tucson etc. Lotsa ranger on roads out here as well as toyotas. chebby s10's are seen but not a lot and from what I have read have some engine issues to boot. Isuzu, nissans are around but not that many. So do your research on what you think you will need and go from there.

https://tucson.craigslist.org/search/cto?query=ranger+pickups

https://tucson.craigslist.org/search/cto?query=toyota+tacoma+pickups

jakeg1999

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the feedback! I am definitely soaking it all in. I think I am leaning towards a manual and would like an extra cab. I could live with either motor power wise, but would rather have the one with the better history, all things equal 4.0 would be my choice. I like the Toyota, and had a 98 a few years back and loved it, but the Toyotas are quite a bit more than I want to pay. If I were going to use this truck more often I could justify it, but it truly will only be used probably less than 100mi a month and most likely 0mi some months.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Early '00's SOHC 4.0's had timing chain problems.

IMO go as new as you can, they only got more refined as they went. They did sit a little lower as they got newer which some may like/not like.

Transmissions got pretty good as time went on too.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
^^HAHA yeah the mid 80's to early 90's auto trannies were garbage in the Rangers (A4LD)...however tranny shops love to see you pull in with one of those pieces of junk.

I'd say go as new as you can too, you usually get what you pay for...for example...I just picked up a 91 Ford Tempo, nothing to oohh and ahh over of course, it had sat for 4 years without being started, or driven or anything. Battery was deader than a door nail...even a jump start wouldn't bring it to life. Hauled it away for free, interior isn't in too bad of shape, exterior is pretty good no dents, or scratches, just the typical 80's and 90's lackluster paint problems where the clearcoat is gone and paint is heavily oxidized. Anyhow, that free car cost me $1175 in repairs LOL. So getting something cheap isn't always a great idea, typically if you pay a little more you get a much better deal, without an immediate expensive trip to the repair shop...although about $385 of that total was new tires, but still quite an expensive free car HAHA!!

If you can do manual transmission that's definitely the way to go with any vehicle you chose, far less to go wrong, unless the PO was a terrible driver.

I like the older 80's body styles on the Rangers though that's my problem, but if I did my Bronco 2 purchase again I'd find one with a manual transmission, $2400 for a transmission rebuild with that A4LD was quite the setback...but hey I bought the B2 for $800 HAHA!!

DRanger024

Supporting Member
Solid Axle Swap
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6-7” front maybe 3” rear
Total Drop
Tire Size
33x12.50-15
I’ve been out of the Ranger game too long too know for sure but for 3-5k in my area would get you a decent ‘03-‘05 4.0 4x4 5-speed. Trucks are pricey here though. My ‘02 4.0 4x4 5-speed was dead nuts reliable at 200,000+ miles when I sold it. Beat the snot out of that truck too.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I'd say go as new as you can too, you usually get what you pay for...for example...I just picked up a 91 Ford Tempo, nothing to oohh and ahh over of course, it had sat for 4 years without being started, or driven or anything. Battery was deader than a door nail...even a jump start wouldn't bring it to life. Hauled it away for free, interior isn't in too bad of shape, exterior is pretty good no dents, or scratches, just the typical 80's and 90's lackluster paint problems where the clearcoat is gone and paint is heavily oxidized. Anyhow, that free car cost me $1175 in repairs LOL. So getting something cheap isn't always a great idea, typically if you pay a little more you get a much better deal, without an immediate expensive trip to the repair shop...although about $385 of that total was new tires, but still quite an expensive free car HAHA!!
Where I live a 1991 Tempo would probably sell for about $1,000 to $1,500. I'd say that getting the car for free, and putting that much into it, you made out alright.

One thing I'll add: Become familiar with what vehicles that you're looking at are actually worth. If a 2000 Ranger in your area is worth $2,000, for example, and you find one for $1,000, stay away. There's PROBABLY something wrong with it. That something wrong may not be mechanical, either. It could be a stolen truck, it could have a salvage title, etc.

Something else, too: Don't buy ANYTHING for sale in the states that have recently been hit by hurricanes. Chances are pretty good that a vehicle from there is flood damaged.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'd say you wont have any trouble finding a nice extended cab ranger with a 5 speed. Those will get the better gas mileage whether you get the 4 cyl or the 6 cyl. I would look for one with the expensive accessories already on it like a hitch or a lift or a nice exhaust. We all know you don't get the money back that you put in a vehicle. For 3-5k you wont have any problems finding a decent ride. When you go to check it out be sure to check them leaf spring hangers and the frame around the front leaf spring brackets. That's where these rangers fail the most in my opinion when they get old or rusty.

DustinB43

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Don't get anything older than 2002. If you want reliability i'd go with a 2.3 liter duratec motor, unlike the predecessors, the duratec 4 cylinder had timing chains compared to belts in the older years which had to have been changed every 60k miles or they would snap.

Another reason to get the duratec 4 cylinder, compared to the 6 cylinder, they're far more reliable, cheaper to drive, and maintain. Sure you're not getting the power like you'd do in a v6 but! they're bulletproof motors.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals