• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0L Flex Fuel-Running E85--What are your results?

dangeranger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L FF
Transmission
Automatic
HI everyone, I have a question. I have a flex-fuel Ranger and I havent been able to find anything about anybody actually running E85 in their Ranger. It's available at one local Exxon and I was thinking about giving it a shot. I heard you're supposed to slowly add it to gasoline over time. So if anyone has tried this , please let me know.

WhiteBroncoII2WD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
HI everyone, I have a question. I have a flex-fuel Ranger and I havent been able to find anything about anybody actually running E85 in their Ranger. It's available at one local Exxon and I was thinking about giving it a shot. I heard you're supposed to slowly add it to gasoline over time. So if anyone has tried this , please let me know.
Is your Ranger already a Flex-Fuel model? If so you can go ahead and fill up. If not it may be safer to experiment with it and at least give the computer a chance to learn the high oxygen content of the fuel. Either way you will lose in fuel mileage

BlueSplash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 93 V6-3.0L. The manual says it is E85 capable. I would probably fill half tank with regular gas and half E85 to start. If I don't get any CEL or running issues, then I would go full E85 next fill. Too bad we don't have public E85 stations in NJ,
I would have tried it along time ago.

WhiteBroncoII2WD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 93 V6-3.0L. The manual says it is E85 capable. I would probably fill half tank with regular gas and half E85 to start. If I don't get any CEL or running issues, then I would go full E85 next fill. Too bad we don't have public E85 stations in NJ,

You have a 1993 Ranger, and the manual tells you its E85 compatible? I'm not questioning your integrity, I'm just curious.

dangeranger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L FF
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, my Ranger is flex-fuel capable. I was just wondering if anyone has gotten HP gains or anything like that. I might give it a whirl next time I fill up.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You will not see any power "gains". Alcohol contains less energy than gasoline.

WhiteBroncoII2WD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, my Ranger is flex-fuel capable. I was just wondering if anyone has gotten HP gains or anything like that. I might give it a whirl next time I fill up.

If you look at it from a money stand point if it is considerably cheaper the gasoline you may save money filling up. I say may because you have to work out how much you're losing with fuel composition using E85 as oppose to gasoline.

dangeranger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L FF
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, I've heard much about how it burns quicker. I'll do a half-and-half and see what mileage i get around town and post results.

cerebrus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have been running my 99 3.0l ext cab solely on E85 for several months and haven't noticed any difference in the pedal or in my mileage. :icon_thumby:

pacodiablo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
You will not see any power "gains". Alcohol contains less energy than gasoline.
You don't see power gains from the alcohol itself, but the PCM will make the fuel mixture richer if there is E85 in the tank, so there might be a little bit more power with E85.

There are no tricks to using E85. Just fill it up like normal. The truck will figure out the gas/alcohol ratio.

I use E85 when it is convenient. The economics of it don't work out since I do get better fuel economy with regular gas and I don't have to go out of my way to get regular gas. However, the truck runs great on E85, so I use it when I can.

pacodiablo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
It sounds like you may have a manual from the wrong year. Ford started making FFV Rangers in 1999.

Alcohol is corrosive and can damage fuel systems that are not meant for it. Some people have used it in non-Flex Fuel vehicles with some success, but I would not risk it.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
Any mileage number from running E85?

The Ranger I got my wife is running regular fuel and getting 12-15mpg. I am contemplating selling it. The mileage sucks!

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size

The Ranger I got my wife is running regular fuel and getting 12-15mpg. I am contemplating selling it. The mileage sucks!
Ouch!

With the 3.0?

My 2.9 constantly gets 20mpg in my BII, manual tranny

I don't drive like a grandma either :D

pacodiablo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 4.0
Transmission
Automatic

My truck gets 18-19 MPG on E85 in mixed driving. It's a 2WD with a 5R44E and 3.73 gears with stock size tires.

There is something wrong with the truck if it is getting mileage that bad. How does it run? Is there any possibility the thermostat is stuck or is too low of a temp for the engine?

1pokeyRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Slow go 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Hmmm. My 2000 4x4 auto with a topper, equip, and tools gets 16mpg on gas. It will drop to 12mpg on E85. I based my cost on 500 mile trips = I loose on E85.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals