• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

propane conversion for EFI

Happy Camper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hi, I've read a few topics here relative to propane conversion and I was surprised to find out that it seemed obvious that EFI engines could not run on propane. I don't know too much about the subject but what I know for sure, is that there is one company that offers propane conversion kits for EFI engines. (Got to www.poweredbypropane.net to find out...).

Perhaps, I know that these kits are expansive (around 1000$ w/o the tanks) because they are all electronically controlled and tuned. And the kit comes with a complete set of independent propane injectors (so you have to drill and tap holes in your intake manifold to fit them), and (that's what I find the most interesting), the kit is installed with selenoid operated valves that enables a switch from gasoline to propane and vice-versa with the flick of a switch. (the original gasoline system all remain intact). In fact, the engine is started on gasoline and only switched to propane when it has reached an its optimal operating temperature.

Also, they say that there is no power loss or drop in mileage when operating on propane because of the higher octane rating of propane compared to gasoline (even if propane has a lower calorific value than gasoline...)

Okay, that sounds pretty cool but you have to keep in mind (I do!) that all these informations are sypplied by the company itself... So, I would be pretty interested to share any informations about this technology especially if someone knows somebody who tried this system.

Finally, I don't want to start a hole debate on it but I'm suprised to see people saying that running on propane is not an economy compared to running on gasoline. As far as I am concerned, I already heard a couple of stories about some (carbed) vehicules being converted and having a considerable economy (but a power and mileage loss...the economy was made because of the price of propane and not because of the mileage...). Also, all those stories were concerning people that use to make lots of highway mileage. And finally, these conversions were made with old systems on carbed vehicules (it has nothing to do with the system I've described above).

I can't wait to see if people experienced the new system (the one sold on poweredbypropane.net...)

Thanks

Black_Splash

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Jasper Engines has dedicated carbed, EFI and even diesel engines. They do conversions also. There is a 97 propane powered F-150 driving around town.

Last edited:

mattpresley

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Happy Camper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
$$$

why convert to propane. its very expenisve........

Because in my area, propane is sold a something like 80 cents/liter... The only reason is to save money! (and this is only possible if the conversion kit offered by the company (poweredbyproane) is as efficient as they say it is so that's why I would like to find somebody who did the conversion on an EFI vehicule to find out what are the results...

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
yeah if its cheaper which is usually is... propane burns CLEAN and puts out very very little pollution and it puts out the same sometimes more power than gasoline

im pretty sure you can actually just convert it yourself all you need is a regulator off a forklift or other propane engine. they work just like a carburetor

dragogt

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Or if you build a engine FOR propane, you can run a higher CR and get away with it on the street.

mattpresley

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Because in my area, propane is sold a something like 80 cents/liter... The only reason is to save money! (and this is only possible if the conversion kit offered by the company (poweredbyproane) is as efficient as they say it is so that's why I would like to find somebody who did the conversion on an EFI vehicule to find out what are the results...
whys it so cheap there its like 60 bucks for a bbq drum here

mattpresley

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
yeah if its cheaper which is usually is... propane burns CLEAN and puts out very very little pollution and it puts out the same sometimes more power than gasoline

im pretty sure you can actually just convert it yourself all you need is a regulator off a forklift or other propane engine. they work just like a carburetor

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
whys it so cheap there its like 60 bucks for a bbq drum here
uuuuuuhhhh you got a 30+ gallon tank? Well makes sense as drums are usually 50 gallons... but seriously at the store I work for, a tank exchange costs 6 bucks... six and sixty are pretty close...

It's about $1.26-$2.00 a gallon here. I wanna convert but damn efi... and gas is at $2.50 so I wouldn't see good enough savings till the prices sky rocket again.

I also am very interested to see if anyone's used that efi kit.

(although I want propane to loose all my efi crap so I just need a carb'd engine I guess)

mattpresley

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
uuuuuuhhhh you got a 30+ gallon tank? Well makes sense as drums are usually 50 gallons... but seriously at the store I work for, a tank exchange costs 6 bucks... six and sixty are pretty close...

It's about $1.26-$2.00 a gallon here. I wanna convert but damn efi... and gas is at $2.50 so I wouldn't see good enough savings till the prices sky rocket again.

I also am very interested to see if anyone's used that efi kit.

(although I want propane to loose all my efi crap so I just need a carb'd engine I guess)
I meant a tank. tank exchange = 49.99

mattpresley

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
can it go in a diesal without any mods? diesel engines can burn just about anything flammable

black bart

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 ranger stx
Make / Model
1991 mazda nava
Transmission
Automatic
lp / cng

at $ 3 + for reg a gal in Los Angeles CNG or LP sounds good. a company called Phil - It makes a cng station for the house. it takes natural gas and compress it into your tanks. the system is pricey but the fuel is cheap.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
You know when I first found this site, over a eyar ago, there was a 93 ranger build with an electric motor. What happened to that? And is a propane conversion so much cheaper than a diesel conversion?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals