• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

PA State Inspection

poondobber

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Anyone know if I will fail state inspection if I remove power steering? Manual steering was an option in '97. I have a '98. I cant swap the '97 manual steering so I plan on de-powerizing the '98 rack.

Dont tell me its a stupid idea. I know that. Still want to do it.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It is probably going to depend on a few different things, mostly the guy looking at it, and how hard it is to steer after you do it.

If it is super stiff and you are hanging off the wheel to turn it in a parking lot then you may get hit for excessive effort, under the "other unsafe conditions" rule. But there is no line in the inspection code that specifically forbids deleting power steering. You just need to make sure it is still steerable at low speeds.

Now for the big question. If you know it is a dumb idea, why are you still doing it?

poondobber

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Now for the big question. If you know it is a dumb idea, why are you still doing it?
Clean up the engine bay, reduce weight, free up horsepower, be different.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
It may not be rocket science but Aren't R&Ps something that are easy to re-purpose out of the other vehicles?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Check out BlackBII's Ranger, he added an electric power steering column out of an imported car IIRC. If you are not using it I wouldn't think it would draw much power. A rack may exist that could be adapted too, I have no idea on that new of stuff.

The column would be a little farther back to help with your weight balance. :icon_idea:

It would be different and would keep the inspectors happy if running with nothing bothered them.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You will likely have to put an idler of some sort in place of the P/S pump, the only part you are removing weights about 5 lbs, an e-fan will probably free more horsepower, and "to be different" is not a good reason to do something that you freely admit is a bad idea.

Just sayin.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I will say, the PS pumps are always a mess on these trucks. I have new hoses for mine but somethings are more important. so they are on the lower end of the "list"
Did any older Rangers come w/o PS?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I will say, the PS pumps are always a mess on these trucks. I have new hoses for mine but somethings are more important. so they are on the lower end of the "list"
Did any older Rangers come w/o PS?
Yes. Manual steering was available, at least for the 4-cyl engines, up until 1997.

It was dropped for 98 when the Rangers went R+P rather than recirculating gear box.

Usually the problem, and certainly my biggest concern, with depowering a power rack (or any steering gear really) is that the manual units are often geared much lower than a power one to give a bit more help at a stop or low speed maneuver. Depowering doesn't do anything replace that lost assist, and you frequently end up OK at speed, where the PS system barely does anything, and something that is almost impossible to get into a parking spot.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Dont forget the steering wheels were usually quite a bit larger to give more leverage on a manual system. Im not positive but even the shaft and joints were probably beefed up as well. I dont think its smart but if you insist on doing it make sure you check all these components to ensure they can handle the added stress.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Lol steering wheels were huge!
they could be used to steer boats they were so big lol

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Lol steering wheels were huge!
they could be used to steer boats they were so big lol
I had an 78 Olds for a while in college, and when I took the PS pump off the replace the fuel pump something went wrong inside it, and I lost most of my power assist. That had a big steering wheel, and man was it hard to turn at a stop.

poondobber

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have gone through all the parts comparing years. Barely any change from '97 to '98 except replacing the box with a rack. I compared manual vs power racks on mustangs and from what I can tell they are identical minus the hydraulic piston. Plus the rack on the ranger seems to be very close in design to the mustang. No idler pulley needed as there was none on the '97. Just need to buy the shorter belt.

Restating what was said above. The power steering on the Ranger is a mess. Steering is too light at speed and too heavy when parking. Its a older design that gives you the worst of both worlds. The rack seems to be unique to the ranger/explorer but the pump dates back to the 1990 Taurus and Aerostar. Im guessing the rack is just a hand me down design from the 80's.

As far as power is concerned. I have stalled the engine while parking and having the wheel all they way to one side.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I have gone through all the parts comparing years. Barely any change from '97 to '98 except replacing the box with a rack.
Well that, and they went from a TIB suspension to SLA.

You are down the road that I was going to recommend; getting a manual steering rack from a mustang or mustang ii. They are offered by many aftermarket companies in different widths and mounting styles. You can even get electric assist racks, though they are not cheap.

Depending on the engine you have, you might need to change the belt routing some if you remove the power steering pump. Do you have AC and want to keep it? That'll determine the belt routing and length.

Last edited:

poondobber

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Belt routing is the same between 97 and 98 for trucks without power steering or AC. Ill get rid of the AC when I get rid of power steering.

I checked the manual rack options and could not find one that matched. I thought about buying a flaming river manual rack and seeing if I swap the guts or at least compare them.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals