Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Help Forums - Engine & Transmission Forums > V6 Forums > 3.0 Liter Forum

Notices

Old 10-01-2011, 09:03 PM   #1
Sdude2008

Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
Sdude2008 is on a distinguished road
Default Used vs Rebuilt

I need a motor in my 03. It has a 3.0 flex that died. I have heard some say a used motor is a better choice than rebuilt and vice versa. Can I get some input on this question. I've been looking around for a couple months now and most of the used motors I see are 80-90k. I understand I have no way of knowing how these motors were driven so I get that. But would I be making a mistake to have mine rebuilt? I just need more info on what to do. Can someone suggest a good place to get a rebuild in So California? I'm about an hour North of LA. Thanks for all suggestions.
Sdude2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Supporting Member.

5% Discount Code: 01783FE29A6986 Expires: December 30, 2018
Old 10-02-2011, 07:51 AM   #2
locovaca

Vehicle Year: 1993
locovaca is on a distinguished road

Well, before anyone can make a good guess, how did yours "die"?
locovaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:41 PM   #3
Sdude2008

It's just dead and needs another motor. The question is used or rebuilt.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:55 PM   #4
cody93

Vehicle Year: 1987,1987
Vehicle Make: FORD, duh
Vehicle Model: rANGER x2
I use this vehicle for: scaring yuppies on the interstate
cody93 has much to be proud ofcody93 has much to be proud ofcody93 has much to be proud ofcody93 has much to be proud ofcody93 has much to be proud ofcody93 has much to be proud ofcody93 has much to be proud ofcody93 has much to be proud of

motors just dont die, they either, blow up, loose compression or have a major part fail(timing chain, oil pump, etc) or they sieze up solid.. if your truck is not running, it could be something electrical/fuel related.. It realy all depends on were you get the motor from, junkyard motors can be a gamble unless you check em over first, but if its in good shape, it would be better than rebuilt, there are some half ass engine rebuilders out there too.. Good sources for used motors are vehicles that have been rear-ended or rolled over, or ones with dead transmissions. on the other hand, a quality rebuilt will give you piece of mind having a "like new" engine.

if you decide to go the JY route, you should check some things over before buying the motor, such as taking a compression test, checking the oil pan for metal shavings, check the oil for "mayonaise" wich means craked head. if it has a distributor, make sure it turns when the motor is turned over, if posible, have them run the motor to see if its got any ticking or knocking or smoke out the exhaust.

good luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanD View Post
Once upon a time it was financially practical to ship dirty laundry to China to have it washed rather than wash it in San Francisco.
cody93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:43 AM   #5
aspevacek
Supporting Member

Vehicle Year: 97
Vehicle Model: Ranger Splash
I use this vehicle for: wife drives it to work
aspevacek will become famous soon enough

It is funny you mention a compression test on a JY motor. In germany JYs sell the motors have a sheet with them with compression print outs and everything you need to know about it. They also put a warrenty on the motors for a year from date of purchase. It was the coolest thing i have ever seen come from a junk yard. Bad part is they do not offer you pull it junk yards.
aspevacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:49 AM   #6
cody93

Vehicle Year: 1987,1987
Vehicle Make: FORD, duh
Vehicle Model: rANGER x2
I use this vehicle for: scaring yuppies on the interstate
cody93 has much to be proud ofcody93 has much to be proud ofcody93 has much to be proud ofcody93 has much to be proud ofcody93 has much to be proud ofcody93 has much to be proud ofcody93 has much to be proud ofcody93 has much to be proud of

germans are over-achivers.. junkyards here try to rip you off, they would sell you a 255 ci windsor and say its a 302...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanD View Post
Once upon a time it was financially practical to ship dirty laundry to China to have it washed rather than wash it in San Francisco.
cody93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:22 AM   #7
Psychopete

Psychopete is just really nicePsychopete is just really nicePsychopete is just really nicePsychopete is just really nice

rebuild would be a good option if you have the money, has a very good warranty, and is bought locally.

used is fine, but you will want to hear the engine run first and make sure it has a decent warranty. 80-90K is not bad for mileage. I just put an engine with 140K into my car (which is a much more crude engine than what you're dealing with), but knew it didn't have any major issues going in, so I didn't even think twice.
Psychopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:49 PM   #8
McCormack

Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Ranger
McCormack is on a distinguished road

I've never had a bad experience with a salvage yard motor and I can't think of one of my friend's ever having a bad experience either, and that's the way I would go if I needed an engine.

A salvage yard won't stay in business very long if they sell junk motors that break right away, so the vast majority of salvage yards are pretty careful about the used engines they sell, and just about all of them offer some type of warranty.
McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 03:39 PM   #9
Sdude2008

Thanks this is the info I was hoping for. I know motors dont just die but for the purposes of this question it doesn't matter what happened. It just needs to be replaced. I've seen some used motors online that promise carfax reports does anyone have faith it that? I've been looking locally here in Ventura CA and have yet to find a nice rear wreck from which I can yank a motor. Everything seems to be out of state which worries me should anything go wrong... I've found a couple rebuilders around here and the quote is around $2500. I also have a guy in town here who will install a used 91k motor for $2400... I wish I had time to do this all myself but sadly I dont. Can anyone suggest a close to honest rebuilder or yard near Ventura CA? Thanks again for the advise.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:19 PM   #10
RangerSVT
Oct 09 OTOTM

Vehicle Year: 1996 2002
Vehicle Model: SAS Ranger SC 4x4 V8 Sport Trac
I use this vehicle for: Anger Management
RangerSVT is a splendid one to beholdRangerSVT is a splendid one to beholdRangerSVT is a splendid one to beholdRangerSVT is a splendid one to beholdRangerSVT is a splendid one to beholdRangerSVT is a splendid one to beholdRangerSVT is a splendid one to beholdRangerSVT is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Yahoo to RangerSVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychopete View Post
rebuild would be a good option if you have the money, has a very good warranty, and is bought locally.

used is fine, but you will want to hear the engine run first and make sure it has a decent warranty. 80-90K is not bad for mileage. I just put an engine with 140K into my car (which is a much more crude engine than what you're dealing with), but knew it didn't have any major issues going in, so I didn't even think twice.
Whatever you do, stay away from a remanufactured motor, like those from Adanvce Auto, O Reilly's, NAPA, Carquest and AutoZone. When they are rebuilt from their suppliers, not all cylinders are bored or honed, only the ones that need it. You may have 4 cylinders with a standard bore, and 1 with a 0.040 bore and one with a 0.060 bore. This not only equals to an engine that is not balanced, but also will severely shorten it's life span, usually just outside the warranty period. If you go with a rebuild, make sure you take your engine to a quality engine builder and have them contact you on what they find and what is need to be done before it is done.
SVT

Member of the Turkey Bay Crew

SVT Build Thread (96 V8 Ranger)

ST Build Thread (02 V8 Sport Trac)

V8 swap Club/Info

Tuning with SCT
RangerSVT is offline   Reply With Quote