• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1992 Ranger: Headlights Flicker Off and On Unexpectedly - SCARY

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey, all.

Just picked up a 1992 Ranger Custom (4.0, A4LD) with a bunch of problems, which I’m slowly addressing. Electrical issues are something I’ve never been good with however, so I’m reaching out in case anyone has any advice about one of them in particular.

What’s happening is that I’ll be driving home at night after work, when all of a sudden, both headlights will flash on and off irregularly without warning. Doesn’t seem to matter if I click between high and low beams (though I think it usually starts when the highs are on). It’s pretty damn scary because it often doesn’t seem like they’re going to come back on and I have to drive dark windy roads that deer like to frequent. I plan to clean the contacts up on the back of the headlights, but with the symptoms being what they are, I really think that something must be shorting out somewhere (maybe a bare wire contacting the frame?). :icon_confused:

If anyone knows of particular trouble spots on this vehicle that cause similar shorting problems, please let me know so that I have an idea where to start looking. Thanks!!! :icon_thumby:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
The headlight switch is known for failing. When I replaced mine, it showed signs of overheating. I would examine that first. If you had a short that stayed shorted for the amount of time you mention, that would probably blow a fuse. This is more likely a loose connection such as bad switch contacts.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The headlight switch is known for failing. When I replaced mine, it showed signs of overheating. I would examine that first. If you had a short that stayed shorted for the amount of time you mention, that would probably blow a fuse. This is more likely a loose connection such as bad switch contacts.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Hey, thanks a lot for the quick reply! I’ll pull that part of the dash/console and find the switch. Anyone know where I can order a new one from? No Ford dealerships close by me.

Again, thanks, eric. :icon_thumby:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Hey, thanks a lot for the quick reply! I’ll pull that part of the dash/console and find the switch. Anyone know where I can order a new one from? No Ford dealerships close by me.

Again, thanks, eric. :icon_thumby:
Rockauto can ship it to you.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,1992,ranger,2.9l+v6,1137833,electrical-switch+&+relay,headlamp+switch,4472

Or you can get one from Amazon. They've got the Motorcraft unit in stock for $36 shipped.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IYK6YI

If you have any chain auto parts stores in town, they've probably got it as well.

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

tinman_72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Factory
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
255/60R15
My credo
RoHS compliant
I had the exact same problem with my '93. I was told by people on this forum that the problem was the switch. I spent around 100 bucks to buy a brand new one from Ford. It made no difference. Turns out it was the relay. Ford wouldn't take the switch back because it was an electrical part.
Check your relay first.

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I had the exact same problem with my '93. I was told by people on this forum that the problem was the switch. I spent around 100 bucks to buy a brand new one from Ford. It made no difference. Turns out it was the relay. Ford wouldn't take the switch back because it was an electrical part.
Check your relay first.
Hey, thanks tinman. I’ve found the switches for as little as 9 or 10 bucks online, but I also like the idea of checking the relay. Do you know if it’s located in the black box containing fuses under the hood? As I mentioned, I’m terrible with electrical issues.

Thanks again. :icon_thumby:

loknrok

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have an 88. Happened to me. Check the large electrical plug inside the column for the high beam/turn signal switch. I took off the housing and jiggled it around while stranded at night. It flickered on and off. I cleaned the connections with WD-40, and made sure it snapped on good. Problem fixed!! Hope this helps

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have an 88. Happened to me. Check the large electrical plug inside the column for the high beam/turn signal switch. I took off the housing and jiggled it around while stranded at night. It flickered on and off. I cleaned the connections with WD-40, and made sure it snapped on good. Problem fixed!! Hope this helps

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
Thanks, loknrok! I’ll give it a shot! :icon_hornsup:

tinman_72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Factory
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
255/60R15
My credo
RoHS compliant
Hey, thanks tinman. I’ve found the switches for as little as 9 or 10 bucks online, but I also like the idea of checking the relay. Do you know if it’s located in the black box containing fuses under the hood? As I mentioned, I’m terrible with electrical issues.

Thanks again. :icon_thumby:
I was mistaken about one small detail: It was over a decade ago when this happened to me but if I recall correctly, I could pull the high beam lever back and the highs would come on but if I pushed it forward they would flicker on and off just like the low beams. That is why I was told that it was the multifunction switch in the steering column, not the switch. (Do yours stop flickering when you pull the lever back?)
The way Ford sets it up is all the amperage that the headlights draw go through the switch in the dash and the multifunction switch in the steering column. No matter how often you replace the switch, the plug for it will always melt. I installed a universal relay ahead of the switch and my problem went away. What this did was make it so that the only amperage going through the switches is what the relay draws to open and close. When I did this I saw a very noticeable increase in headlight brightness.

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So, oddly enough, the problem seems to have resolved itself, at least for the time being. Maybe the truck just sat too long and corrosion built up on the contacts or something. Maybe the issue will come back. So many other issues to deal with, so I’m happy if it stays away for a while.

It does bring to mind a related issue though, which is that the lights are not very bright, due to the lenses being that plastic crap that I hate so much. I’m not into having them resurfaced, as I paid to have that done on my Jetta and it didn’t last. Does anyone know if there’s an aftermarket upgrade set made from glass? Pretty sure my ’83 Ranger had glass headlights, but I’m also sure they wouldn’t fit unless you swapped the front ends (which I’ve thought about doing many times, but there are just too many other priorities).

Have I mentioned that I hate plastic lights?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals