• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Official A4LD Problem Thread!

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
well, you would know whats in the transmission, and it does come with a new TQ, If you have the cash, and tools to rebuild, go for it, try checking the same kit at Rockauto.com first.

Robert

posted in 100 years

Ryannn

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Well, it's not a good sign when there is a specific portion of a forum dedicated exclusively to your transmission!

I have a 1992 Ranger four-wheel drive with a automatic transmission. Overall it very happy with this truck, but as of late the transmission has been giving me some problems, and you may have read about this in an earlier thread that I had posted.

Briefly, to summarize, I had the tranmission fluid changed by Jiffy Lube, and shortly thereafter when towing a small boat my transmission had spewed forth a fairly large quantity of red fluid.

My original assumption is that this was overflow fluid, as performed by the service center, and indeed the rate of discharge had decreased, but never ceased.

I had brought it into the mechanic for visual inspection, thinking that perhaps it was the overflow tube, or the dipstick tube but there was no obvious sign of the fluid leakage, except for between the bell housing in the engine block, an area such as would be disclosed by a failure of the front pressure seal.

I decided to watch and wait, and simply check the fluid level frequently.

However it continued to leak, especially under load.

Given the fact I don't have the time to pull transmission myself, I contemplated bringing it in, but that's a fairly expensive job on a fairly old truck.

Thus I decided to roll the dice and try some transmission sealer, which miraculouly appears to have worked. The prayer might have done the trick, as it were.

I realize that this is likely only temporary, but a least a limited time to save money for new transmission seal.

Hopes this helps somebody.

Bill
We took a work truck to Jiffy lube for a service and two days later the tranny went out. I'm not sure if these guys put the right fluids in. I will not take anything to them again. It was a newer truck

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
We took a work truck to Jiffy lube for a service and two days later the tranny went out. I'm not sure if these guys put the right fluids in. I will not take anything to them again. It was a newer truck
Would you trust a doctor who gets paid $7.25 an hour and has no education to perform surgery on you? Jiffy Lube type places are full of idiots that don't care. I would NEVER let them do any sort of work on my vehicles. :rolleyes:

Ev 1988

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L 177CID V6 A4LD Trans BW 1350 T Case
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1987 Ford ranger STX 4X4 Extended Cab that has a A4LD My problem is I have NO Gears except Neutral I had My great uncle Bob Chandler run a dianostics test and I found out the clutch is shot And the bands are broke Now I got a hold of a transmission guy Names John Evans Over at a private garage in Leadwood Mo He said he can rebuild it for $700 And up I found a FULL Rebuild kit at O'Reilly Auto Parts part number (FOA4LD) They want $1,837 And a $100 Core charge Now heres the problem I CANT Afford that And they said there IS Another kit out there I went to Auto Zone They have a kit for $300 $50 Core Charge OR I can pay $1,420 for a new transmission That has a 3 year warranty $400 Core Charge But I want to keep my Original Transmission The truck has 57,701.9 Original Miles The transmission Was rebuilt by Ford Motor Co. back in 06 But they only replaced the bands and the Over Drive gear My question is How hard is it to rebuild my OWN Transmission And what tools Ill need Im wanting to rebuild my OWN Stuff instead of paying people $1,000s of dollars for work

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1987 Ford ranger STX 4X4 Extended Cab that has a A4LD My problem is I have NO Gears except Neutral I had My great uncle Bob Chandler run a dianostics test and I found out the clutch is shot And the bands are broke Now I got a hold of a transmission guy Names John Evans Over at a private garage in Leadwood Mo He said he can rebuild it for $700 And up I found a FULL Rebuild kit at O'Reilly Auto Parts part number (FOA4LD) They want $1,837 And a $100 Core charge Now heres the problem I CANT Afford that And they said there IS Another kit out there I went to Auto Zone They have a kit for $300 $50 Core Charge OR I can pay $1,420 for a new transmission That has a 3 year warranty $400 Core Charge But I want to keep my Original Transmission The truck has 57,701.9 Original Miles The transmission Was rebuilt by Ford Motor Co. back in 06 But they only replaced the bands and the Over Drive gear My question is How hard is it to rebuild my OWN Transmission And what tools Ill need Im wanting to rebuild my OWN Stuff instead of paying people $1,000s of dollars for work

Check out the tech forums, they have all the info you will ever need, and also any special tools that might be needed.

I have taken a few of these trans apart, and really didn't need any special tools.

Robert

sent from the back side of heaven.

91rangercustom4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1991 Ford Ranger with an A4LD that was sitting for 2 years i just put a new motor in, the tranny worked before i had stored it and now it wont shift from first to second without manully doing so. Also wont shift out of second into third when put into drive fluid level is normal. Any Ideas?

mihulka3

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Same exact scenario yesterday coming home with an empty 6x10 single axle trailer and 90F outside temp. Going to add tranny fluid today and go for a drive. Will see if it just blew out or front seal jacked?

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1991 Ford Ranger with an A4LD that was sitting for 2 years i just put a new motor in, the tranny worked before i had stored it and now it wont shift from first to second without manully doing so. Also wont shift out of second into third when put into drive fluid level is normal. Any Ideas?
It's hard for one to sit that long, stuff starts to get sticky, the servos on the side can be easily be removed and cleaned, that might help.

also go ahead and do a trans fluid and filter change, that also should help, be sure to blow all the fluid out of the trans lines and cooler.

Robert

Posted from somewhere, doing something, and going somewhere else.

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
Same exact scenario yesterday coming home with an empty 6x10 single axle trailer and 90F outside temp. Going to add tranny fluid today and go for a drive. Will see if it just blew out or front seal jacked?

Whats the same exact scenario ?!?!

Robert

posted with out tapa talk and without a cell phone.

hidesertrat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
What did you do? I am in the same boat now, looking at doing the rebuild myself. Automatic transmissions seem to have that "Oh crap, do I really want to do this?" feeeling about them!! :sad:
I found this kit: http://www.onlinetransmissionparts.com/servlet/the-42/HD-Upgrade-Package-for/Detail

Not sure about it, I don't need the cooler, already have one. Any suggestions out there on these older tranys? What is the best approach? :dunno:

stealhorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
a4ld lost all gears for a moment then fine again

Hi I was hoping someone can shed some light on this problem. I was wheeling it all day, then before I decided to go back home, I tried climbing this ten foot tall steep incline just like I did earlier a couple times I went half way up then back down for a moment then went up again then all of a sudden the tran. let loose like I put it in nuetral. No revers or forward gear. So I turn it off real quick after backing down the incline and testing the gears like I said. I looked under the truck and the linkage seemed to work properly. I didn't notice any leaks. So I fired it back up on level ground and it shifted fine in all gears, and I drove back home fine. I have a trans temp sensor and external cooler. It said it was normal temp. So. I hope someone might be able to give me some possibilities on the problem. It seemed to have something to do with the incline, but it didn't do that all the other times I was climbing up stuff that day, but it was one of the steepest. I thank anyone who replies in advance.

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
Hi I was hoping someone can shed some light on this problem. I was wheeling it all day, then before I decided to go back home, I tried climbing this ten foot tall steep incline just like I did earlier a couple times I went half way up then back down for a moment then went up again then all of a sudden the tran. let loose like I put it in nuetral. No revers or forward gear. So I turn it off real quick after backing down the incline and testing the gears like I said. I looked under the truck and the linkage seemed to work properly. I didn't notice any leaks. So I fired it back up on level ground and it shifted fine in all gears, and I drove back home fine. I have a trans temp sensor and external cooler. It said it was normal temp. So. I hope someone might be able to give me some possibilities on the problem. It seemed to have something to do with the incline, but it didn't do that all the other times I was climbing up stuff that day, but it was one of the steepest. I thank anyone who replies in advance.

Sounds like you lost pressure when you did the incline, make sure your trans fluid is at it's proper level.

Robert

sent with a box a crackers and a milky way.

morbid1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
a4ld

I have a 94 explorer with 138000 miles the transmission just started not shifting when put in drive or overdrive only goes about 25 till it gets warmed up then its fine i can manually shift from first and second but not drive or overdrive till warm then it shifts smooth i have already replaced filter, fluid, vacuum modulator, tps sensor air idle control plugs wires and upper intake manifold gasket can this possible be the shift solenoid or maybe valve body gasket

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals