• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2001 4x4 issues

014x4Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hi im pretty new, over the winter when i would put my truck in 4high it would whine pretty loud under my feet, louder then i think it should...and sometimes around 3000rpm it pops violently out and then back in? vaccum line? plus i have no 4low the light never lights up for 4lo any suggestions?

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
There are no vacuum lines on your 2001 as it is a live axle truck where the front axle turns all the time, along with the front drive shaft. Just the transfercase dissengages and will be electronically shifted. I'd check the condition and level of the fluid in the transfercase as well as in the front differential, then report back your findings.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
It shouldn't be turning 3000 rpm unless it IS in low range. It will made a bit more noise when it's in 4wd. To get a late-model into low range, I'm guessing you don't have the owner's manual, you have to come to a complete stop, foot on the brake, transmission in Neutral, then switch to low range and wait a few seconds.

Otherwise I agree with Sasquatch, check the lube in the front axle and the transfer case. Front end takes regular 75w-90 axle lube, the transfer case takes Mercon ATF and there is a drain plug and fill plug on the back of it. The drain plug may be covered by a vibration damper, three bolts hold it on, just unbolt it.

Exactly what are you doing to turn 3000 rpm in 4wd?

014x4Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I'm not switching it into 4wd at 3000rpm I'll have it in park then switch it then 4high and just drive normal but it pops in and out...this is just on normal roads with lots of snow...and when I turn 4wd off it stays in and still pops out and in

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Could be the solenoid on the t-case, aka electric switching motor. I've never heard of them switching on and off, just failing to do either.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
how many miles are on your truck??

014x4Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
just over 77671m and change....or 125000km whichever you prefer...so i'll give the scenario of the situation.....coming home from snowboarding.....lots of snow on the road....truck is in park...click the knob to 4high then wait for light....put in drive begin driving...whining from the case gets louder then bam! it pops out of 4wd...then clunk!! like 15 seconds later it goes back in...then whine then two mins later bam out of 4wd again....at this point i take it out of 4wd because i want to cause the least damage...stop put it in park click out of 4wd light goes out....back in gear then it still pops in and out....put it back in park turn truck off restart it and its back in 2wd...I know my trucks diff will whine because it is directrly under me, fluid levels i assume are low and are going to be flushed and replaced

014x4Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
and would you suggest just changing the fluids with vehicles spec's or is there any gear oil up and beyond that would be betteR?

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Check tire pressures and wear. Then check the outside diameter of all the tires. It should be all within 1/4" of each other.

That aside, it sure sounds like a stretched chain to me.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Could be a stretched chain, but it is very likely that the shift motor isn't fully shifting so the gears are not quite fully meshed.

Remove the shift motor and engage the 4wd Hi manually (you'll see the marks when the motor is removed) and see if it still jumps. If that works, replace the shift motor. If not, Txfr case time (not that hard of a job).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals