• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Official A4LD Problem Thread!

ShaboinkaBoink

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985, 1990
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have an 88' 4x4 Ranger and a 85' 2wd Ranger. The 88' has a problem with blow out leaks from the trans when it gets to hot and also has a problem with delayed shifting. I bought it like this to fix. The origanal plan was to pull the 85' Rangers trans and put it in the 88' so I would have 4 wheel drive. I already pulled the one out of the 85' and found a front pump seal leak (no biggie, I can just replace it). But when I came on here to read up on it before I did the swap, I saw what Viper said about when it blows out fluid when hot to change the torque converter. If I can fix the one that is in the truck now, I would rather do that to save the other one for later. If the torque converter is the problem for the blow out of fluid, would that also be the reason why it has delayed shifting? Or would it be a different problem? Or would it just be easier to change the seal in the other trans and swap them? Or any other ideas would help too.

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
3.0,4.0OHV 2.9, 4.6DOHC, 4.0SOHC
Is the fluid comming from the bell housing, or from the top of the trans?
if its only the bell housing you can replace the front seal and be fine.

low fluid and over heating can cause delayed, soft-sluggish shifting

ShaboinkaBoink

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985, 1990
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I can't tell cause its not leaking anymore. It has done it twice where it blew out all over the place to the point where I couldn't even see where it was leaking from. When I got home to look, fluid was everywhere and I couldn't see where it was happening. I let it sit for a couple months and just went out yesterday and put some fluid in it (figuring it wouldn't do it while it is cold if its a heating problem) and it hasn't leaked so far. The only problem I'm having now is delayed shifting, witch its had that problem since about the same time the leaking problem occured.

I checked the linkage and its fine. I plan on getting a pressure tester to complete the recommended testing from the manual. Do you think that if it is a pressure problem that it could be the reason that it blows fluid out only sometimes? (building up to much pressure and blowing out)??

jcwest1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V-6
Transmission
Automatic
I had a 93 explorer with that ol' A4LD. It started slipping so I changed the fluid & filter. Drove it 10 miles & it completely quit. Towed to a tranny shop & they said the tourque converter was gone. They said they replaced the converter & rebuilt the trans. When I got it back it was like a new truck- no problem. P.S. When they scanned the trans for faults they didn't find any.

Daringo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Sigh... my tranny is starting to slip (again). I thru it into reverse to back up into my garage and work on the camper shell... yea... that didn't happen. Classic gear stuttering too. I think the new tires and camper shell probably added 200 extra pounds of weight... and my tranny doesn't like that!

So... looking at

1) Lucas Slip Stop ($9)
2) Tranny rebuild ($300++++)
3) Tranny swap ($600+++)
4) Convert to 5MOD ($???)
5) Start looking on craigslist for another cheap 4x4 under $2,000.

I have put alot of work (hard to tell) into this little truck. I can only imagine my wife's reaction to a $600+ fix for the tranny. Sigh. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Has anyone tried a tranny from Everdrive? They seem reasonably priced for having a 3-year warranty.

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
Sigh... my tranny is starting to slip (again). I thru it into reverse to back up into my garage and work on the camper shell... yea... that didn't happen. Classic gear stuttering too. I think the new tires and camper shell probably added 200 extra pounds of weight... and my tranny doesn't like that!

that sounds like the valve body not app. eoungh press. to the forward drum, or the forward drum is cloged.

lucas will help but its only a bandaid.

t0x1k

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slo
Transmission
Automatic
I've got a problem. Everything shifts fine, no slipping. Reverse is a little clunky but not to the extreme.
Problem is in the morning it takes a few seconds and revving to engage into drive. But only in the morning. After I drive it it's fine and shifts into gear great. Even after sitting for 6 hours it shifts fine.

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
I've got a problem. Everything shifts fine, no slipping. Reverse is a little clunky but not to the extreme.
Problem is in the morning it takes a few seconds and revving to engage into drive. But only in the morning. After I drive it it's fine and shifts into gear great. Even after sitting for 6 hours it shifts fine.

low trans fluid, or a bad-sticking spring in the valve body, and or small clog in the valve body.

t0x1k

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slo
Transmission
Automatic
Tran fluid is good but I'll check it again today after driving to work.
I read a a4ld rebuild thread that stated the one solenoid/valve thingy inside the tranny needs to be rebuilt to fix the hard reverse/low gear slip.

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
i cant rember witch valve it is, your body has 2 valves and there pretty cheep as well as easy to replace.

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
I just got a 89 BII witht he A4LD, when I pull it in to gear, nothing happens, it's like the shifter isn't hooked up, but it is, I checked the trans fluid, it's fine, not burnt, and a pretty red, what can I check on the out side to make shure it's not the internals, and just some wierd vacume/electric thingy not hooked up right or gone bad ??

when it warms up this morning, I'm going to pull the electric motor off the transfercase to make sure it's not in nutral.

I checked the transcase, and it's good working order, if it warms up today, I'll drop the pan and check the selector arm, but the "park" does work, I'm going to go this weekend to pull=a=part and see if they have one.

3-5-2010 update, I was told by "IlovemybroncoII" they they jammed the front pump on the tranny install, so eather monday or tuesday I'm going to take it out and tear it down, I have a a4ld out of a 89 ranger super cab 4x4, I can't use it because I couldn't get the TC off the locked 2.9 and I can't afford the 150.00 for a new TC, so I'm thinking of useing parts from the donor trans I got thursday, what do you all think??

Thank you
Robert

Last edited:

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
I had broke my shifter at the back and there was no trans enguagement, be shure when you move the shifter the trans link moves as well.

If it does then the linkage in the trans may have seperated, remove the trans pan, look on the driver side where the shifter linkage goes in the trans, there should be a (S) bar comming from the shifter arm to the slector flute in the valve body also there should be a flat clip lock holding it in place.

if its all ok, you may have a valve body problem.

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
Here is pictures of the one I bought to replace mine, of course I'm going to try and get that TC of that stuck motor some how, if any one has any suggestions on how to do it, and remember this is in the truck still, with the heads off, and water had stood on the piston tops, I guess I could take my BAH with me and see if I can knock them loose.:icon_rofl:

If I can't get the TC of the stuck motor then this will be a donor for the front pump, IlovemybroncoII said that they buggered up the front pump installing the tranny.

wish me luck

Robert

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
It is a 2wd right? with a 2wd you can remove the oil pan and you can loosen the main and connecting rod bearings to spin the crank or just remove the crank to get to your TC nuts.
I had to do the same after I locked my bottom end on my 3.0.

Last edited:

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
It is a 2wd right? with a 2wd you can remove the oil pan and you can loosen the main and connecting rod bearings to spin the crank or just remove the crank to get to your TC nuts.
I had to do the same after I locked my bottom end on my 3.0.
it's 4x4, I would have to have them lift the engine out for me, then drop the pan, and remove the connecting rods and remove the crank.

I called around to some of the transmission shops around here, and they wouldn't sell me a TC, but would rebuild my trans for an estimate of 500.00+, So I called ORiellys and ordered a reman TC with one year warn. for 129.00

I'll have it monday.

Robert

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals