• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

home made tonneau cover

v8-ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So my thoughts on this is to build a frame to fit around the ibside of my box out of .5 angle and bolt it to the bed and then the tonneau cover with be 1 by 1 square tube all the way around my box with some angle going inbetween for support and the top will be aluminum sheet and ill use a seal all the way around my goal is to make it sit flush with the bed rails not on top so it will all be alluminum

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
sounds like a plan! post pictures when done!

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
That sounds like a bit of work to me. I am getting lazy since I find good deals way to often....lol

I bought one last year on Ebay. Brand new and it is a roll up kit and it was $90.00 shipped to me. Got everyhing I need with it. Sometimes I just got to shop around before I start a project...lol

v8-ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ya i searched for one for awhule but they all sit on top of the bed and it doesnt look good to me and a soft one isnt for me but i have the hook ups to get the aluminum because my cuz works at a metal shop so 280 bucks for it alls cheap campared to most covers all i need is someone to teach me to weld aluminum

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
you can get a stealth tonneau for less then that. they sit flush to the top of the bed rails.

gjm4l

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
always wanted to make my own like that, use a sheet of diamond tread aluminum, mmmmm sexy. And I even hate shiny lol. DEFINITELY POST PICS. I agree I think the stealth covers are cheaper but custom is WAY cooler.

v8-ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I looked at the stealth and its still not the style i want . And my whole truck has been hand built so i might as well build one thats one off and no one has . I like when people ask u where u got something and u can say u made it :) ill start building next couple of weeks when i get some money being 17 and poor sucks.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
I don't see any pics of your truck on this site.

v8-ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If u search custom v8 ranger in the under construction thread u will find it . Its not done yet but will be next month after a 3 year build. Its a 91 ranger with a 95 mustang 5.0 with a eaton m90 off a super coupe it has about 500 horse and 550 ft lbs its got f150 dual shock buckets a 33 gallon tank out of a bronco.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
If u search custom v8 ranger in the under construction thread u will find it . Its not done yet but will be next month after a 3 year build. Its a 91 ranger with a 95 mustang 5.0 with a eaton m90 off a super coupe it has about 500 horse and 550 ft lbs its got f150 dual shock buckets a 33 gallon tank out of a bronco.

Got it!! Dude, get that thing together and running before you build that cover. If that were my truck that would be together and running years ago....lol

dasfinc

October 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
GL with the cover, and cool looking build, but I will be the first to call BS on your horsepower figures. There is no way in high-hell you have an M90, OEM headed 5.0 anywhere even CLOSE to 500hp...

There is a TWIN TURBO ranger on RPS that JUST broke the 400 mark at 12PSI on a stock block/heads on Ethanol.

My Maggie developed M90 blower @ 5PSI put out 250whp on an otherwise stock engine, I expect 320whp give or take now that I'm cammed, roller rockers, double valve springs, 8PSI, 255 Walbro. And that is on a GT-40P motor which flows better out the gates than the 95 mustang 5.0. I don't mean to belittle your build, but at the moment it has 0 horsepower until you have a dyno sheet to prove it.

Last edited:

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
GL with the cover, and cool looking build, but I will be the first to call BS on your horsepower figures. There is no way in high-hell you have an M90, OEM headed 5.0 anywhere even CLOSE to 500hp...

There is a TWIN TURBO ranger on RPS that JUST broke the 400 mark at 12PSI on a stock block/heads on Ethanol.

My Maggie developed M90 blower @ 5PSI put out 250whp on an otherwise stock engine, I expect 320whp give or take now that I'm cammed, roller rockers, double valve springs, 8PSI, 255 Walbro. And that is on a GT-40P motor which flows better out the gates than the 95 mustang 5.0. I don't mean to belittle your build, but at the moment it has 0 horsepower until you have a dyno sheet to prove it.
^^^+2 on that....Yea, I feel that number of his is way off as well since I have built a lot of V8 motors..but I would need to see the build sheet on the motor and I would need to see a Dyno printout as well.

v8-ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thats not all that was done to the motor i didnt have.time to list it all. It is a 5.0 with a stage two trick flow cam 1.7 ratio roller rockers and new springs the heads are gt40ps that are ported and polished with chrome molley push rods and the lower intake was ported out and my dad is finishing up a upper intake for it i have 42 pound injectors and i just bought a set of inch and 5/8 headers also i have a 95 mm throttle body. The 500 isnt exact but its about 450- 500 the guy tuning it said i will easily have 550 ft lbs of torque

dasfinc

October 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thats not all that was done to the motor i didnt have.time to list it all. It is a 5.0 with a stage two trick flow cam 1.7 ratio roller rockers and new springs the heads are gt40ps that are ported and polished with chrome molley push rods and the lower intake was ported out and my dad is finishing up a upper intake for it i have 42 pound injectors and i just bought a set of inch and 5/8 headers also i have a 95 mm throttle body. The 500 isnt exact but its about 450- 500 the guy tuning it said i will easily have 550 ft lbs of torque
I have a Mild CompCam *above a street cam, so essentially stage 2*, 1.7 RR's, Double valve springs, GT40P's, intake, and injectors. Push rods don't mean diddly.

Ported heads, headers, and a bigger TB are not going to give you a 150-200hp gain. Intake and TB will make Minimal difference in front of an M90, it can't/won't pull enough air to matter, Ditto on the lower manifold. The M90 does not have that kind of efficiency. At 8PSI My blower is SCREAMING, there is just not much left to give.

I've been told by a professional tuner that with my current mods, with Headers, and with a good tune on E85 MIGHT kiss 400whp, so that means you hope to get 100WHP out of a ported lower manifold and a bigger throttle body.

I'm not trying to be a dick, My truck feels like it has a million horsepower, and when I was young I thought my swapped civic was a rocketship. but real numbers are cold hard reality. Your block will crack in half long before you hit the 500 mark, 450whp is the long acclaimed "wall" for stock 5.0 bottom ends. If your engine guy thinks a stock bottom end can hold 500whp, you should look for someone else. That's not just me talking, that's just common knowledge.

If you want big power, you have to ditch the M90, And go with Heads, a Centrifugal blower or Turbo, and forged pistons/rods. "You have to pay to play" and at 17, I suspect that wouldn't be within budget.

I didn't spot, what transmission do you have behind your current setup? T5's start to explode around 350-375whp mark.

I suspect once your rig is all together you will dyno right around the 300whp mark if you are on 8PSI, which will still make for a fun as hell truck that should easily run comfortably into the 13's all day long.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals