• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

swap to newer PCM eliminate Flex fuel?

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
2000 3.0, flex fuel. anybody ever swap in a newer PCM that does not use the alcohol content sensor?
what years had the F-F sensor? did later years just look at exhaust and adjust the fuel accordingly?
a few years ago my F-F sensor failed, I installed the aftermarket bypass for it. problem is, it puts out a signal fixed at 10% alcohol so its always running rich.

I'm wondering if the newer PCM and wiring harness would work.
would this also eliminate PATS ?

Perry

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I'm gonna start at the end. A newer PCM will not eliminate PATS. It will only become more prevalent going forward. A total harness swap with a PCM could eliminate the FF sensor.

I have not done this swap, but it really should work.

I think the FF sensor was eliminated in 2001, maybe early 02. It wasn't used long for exactly the reason you put the "cheater" in. It's expensive and breaks more consistently than it works.

The cheater shouldn't be causing it to run rich if it puts out a fixed 10% signal. 10% is the current ethanol levels mandated by the idiots, so it shouldn't be causing a stoich issue, unless the mix you are getting is way off.

The newer ones mainly used the O2 sensors to correct. It just kind of watches the O2s and the injector pulse width and infers the amount of ethanol.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
Hmm,,, PATS would need a matched PCM, module, and key. The key would probably be the hardest part.
the FF cheater has been there for about 4 years now, not sure what I'll do if it fails.
Here in Toledo we are right on the border of Ohio/Michigan. I think Michigan has mandatory 10% alcohol, Ohio only says 10% max (??) so the fuel mix varies a lot.

Perry

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Only seven states--Louisiana, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Oregon, Pennsylvania, and Washington--have mandates that require ethanol to be blended with the fuel supply.

Louisiana and Washington require ethanol to make up 2 percent of the total volume of fuel sold, while the other states specify E10--a blend of 10 percent ethanol and 90 percent gasoline.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals