• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Raptor or Ranger

Which would be better, a modified Ranger or a Raptor?

• Modifed Ranger would kick Raptor ass

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Raptor is a refined complete package a Ranger can only dream of

Votes: 14 46.7%
  • Too close to call, they are both great

Votes: 9 30.0%

• Total voters

DavidNJ

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Now that would be a modified Ranger with a Dixon Bros. or Camburg suspension and other mods.

The Raptor is more refined inside, but larger. The modified Ranger would have a more sophisticated suspension, stiffer chassis, etc. To modify the Raptor would require new lower control arms, different shocks and bumps, and other mods probably including a bed cage. I'm still not sure what an 'internal bypass' shock is.

Price is probably fairly similar if you finish the Ranger like a new truck, otherwise a bit less. The Raptor, if stock or near stock, would depreciate less...a lot less.

Which would you prefer?

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Sorry but if you're talking them both being about the same price the raptor would be best. You are modifying the Ranger to be what the Raptor is from the factory. I also have a hard time believing that the Ranger suspension would be more sophisticated than the Ford designed Raptor suspension. You have to work out all of the bugs in the modified Ranger to get everything to act right together, with the Raptor Ford has already done this. Gas Mileage would probably be about the same, if not slightly better in the Raptor. Last, but certainly not least, the raptor carries the factory warranty. If something breaks during the warranty period they have to fix it. If something breaks on the modified Ranger you have to fix it yourself most likely have to replace expensive components out of pocket.

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
If ford came out with a factory prerunner ranger with long travel and more horsepower, then we might have a discussion.

But we don't.

And this is not ford truck news.

Should be in general or something.

DavidNJ

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Ford's Raptor suspension is bush league by pre-runner standards. They say 11.4" of travel in front...but how mush of that is bump? On the Ranger there would be 14" of travel, maybe 10" of bump. It looks like the Raptor compromised bump to use a stock like fender.

That front shock on the Raptor is really a single 2" with the bypass build on the internal sides. A twin tube. The Ranger would have a 2.5" monotube coil over and a 2.5" monotube bypass, front and rear. The bump stops would be pneumatic. There would be rebound strap. Also, the lower arm on the Ranger would be steel. It remains to be seen how the aluminum arm works in heavy use. If it cracks, you won't be welding it in the field. Also, the Ford nearly certainly is using ball joints. The modified Ranger would have monoballs.

The rear both used arched leaf springs, although you could do a 3-link on the Ranger. To clear the bed they mounted the shock below the axle making the mount a potential rock casualty. The Ranger would have it mounted above the axle.

The Raptor has an open front diff, auto locking or permanently engaged hubs, a limited slip rear. The Ranger could air locks or e-locks (with a steering wheel mounted control). The hubs would be manual.

BTW, what is the rocker protection of the Raptor?

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Sounds like you have already decided which is better so why ask?

souldoubt88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I plan to have both eventually.

I also plan to marry a movie star and have a Ford GT, and retire young.....we'll see how that all pans out....

DavidNJ

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I was just arguing the other view...a little like comparing a 1000hp Supra to a new Z06 Corvette.

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
I think a Raptor Ranger............
is an idea that needs to be thoroughly explored.

I really like both.
but the "cheap" feel of a ranger is tough to shake off, it's just a hard fact of loving RBV's.

Frank

and kick it's ass at what? rally racing, towing, sled pulling, drag racing?

DavidNJ

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
one of the magazine took a Raptor off road. Some brackets, bent wheels, but also it looks like the skid plate took a pounding. If you are doing real off-road, a new factory truck isn't always best. I imagine some will use it as a base. But out of the box, it is like a ZR1 Corvette: has a lot of go, but mainly for show.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No doubt you could build a truck that would out wheel it, but the Raptor isn't an off road only truck.

It would take more $$ than the Raptor to build a truck that would out wheel it and out drive it... and probably resources that the average shmo wouldn't have.

It is that balance that is hard to get, the Raptor is a factory built off road race truck that is also polite on the street.

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
See, what I don't get is why people try to compare a stock vehicle to a modified one, what's the point? You can mod the stock one too.

DavidNJ

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Factory build cars have lots of compromises. In return they offer refinement (usually) and warranties.

Often, when used hard...say taking a Z06 to track days, the car goes under stress making it much more difficult to maintain than a custom setup. Judging from the damage to the Raptors given to the press, that would appear to be the case here.

Interesting will be if Fox starts shipping single coilover bypass shocks.

If you were modifing it, would there be a significant advantage in starting with a Raptor rather than a regular F150?

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Often, when used hard...say taking a Z06 to track days, the car goes under stress making it much more difficult to maintain than a custom setup. Judging from the damage to the Raptors given to the press, that would appear to be the case here.
Clarify this statement please :icon_confused:

Do you mean using a vehicle to the fullest extent makes it harder to change oil?

-OR-

Do you mean that a custom set up takes more abuse than a stock one?

I'm assuming the second one but I still had to sit and think about it so I figured I'd ask.

The raptor is a stock truck basically. It's for people who want to pull their toys out to the dunes and have a truck that could play around there (better than a lower model) as well.

It's not a truck that you could drive off the lot and enter in baja with.

Well you could, but...

DavidNJ

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The second...however....it means the Raptor may be a bit light for an off-road truck. The Jeep Rubicon, the Toyota FJ Cruiser and the Land Rover Defender 90 are factory trucks with serious off-road aspirations out of the box. They are more rock crawler than pre-runner. All have compromises, but offer significant value as a base for modification.

Does the Raptor offer an advantage over an F-150 for modification? Which parts would you keep?

On the Rubicon, Dana 44s, locker diffs, and 4.3 transfer case offer a real enhancement for a long arms build.

li7in6

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
As of right now the Raptor is an F-150 with suspension mods.

When the 6.2 liter raptor comes out it might be more notable.

Fact of the matter is, If i wanted to build a full size high speed desert truck (no, its not a prerunner just becasue its meant to tackle the desert at speed) I would start with a late model Silverado with a 6.0, plenty of reasonably priced long travel kids out there to make it much more capable than a raptor for cheaper and plenty of performance aftermarket. You don't buy a $40k+ truck to go beat the hell out of in the desert unless you have more money than sense.

The raptor certainly is more capable than a regular full size, but you're not going to be bombing whoops too fast with just 11" of travel, thats not even comparable to a mid travel suspension kit. I can get 14+ inches of front end travel with nothing more than a coilover swap, aftermarket UCA and titan LCA's on my frontier. Titans can get that travel with just coilovers and UCA's.

If you're going to go comparing trucks on a cost basis, you have to use either showroom new or equally old/depreciated vehicles, in addition you should use similar vehicles (i.e. similar class/size/options/etc. In which case you could buy an '10 F-150 for FX-4 for $30k. For $10k or less im pretty sure you could buy 4 corners worth of coilovers, tires, rims, and build it up to be more capable than the raptor. But then its not factory.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals