• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

confusion regarding 4.0 swap into BII

70roadrunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
plymouth
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have an 84 BII, 2.8 5-speed, and have been researching the 4.0 swap. i bought a 91 explorer w/5-speed for my donor ($200 !) ive read all the posts regarding this swap that i can find. here is where i got confused, DieHardFord says i can do it without swapping the dash, all others say i have to swap dash. has anyone else done this without swapping the dash? i am also swapping in the d-35/8.8 at the same time so i only have to have driveshafts modified vs made. i would like to keep my 1350 t-case, but i see the outputs are completely different, is there a way to use 1354 style flanges on my 1350? and what is the single wire plug to the rear diff on the 91 ex? i appreciate any help i can get, as im new to fords.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I bought my '85 b-II with the '91 Ranger 4.0 already installed. It has the original dash. I plan on installing a '91 ex 4.0 into a different b-II that I own and using the ex dash.

Richard

jhammel85

There are definitely some members here who've kept that dash. There's some splicing involved but its possible.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I swapped the dash because I like the dash way better.I swapped the steering column too.My 93 donor the fuel power went through the turn signal switch.What I tried to do was as much original wiring from the 93 as possible.I wanted AC so I also switched the heater unit at the same time.Sitting there with no engine ,tranny,dash,heater and seats is kind of a scarey place to be.

I think your electric plugs are the same style which is huge.Guys have had a lot of success just moving wires and some like the original dash better.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I kept the 1st gen dash. The wire splicing was minimal, maybe 20-30 wires.

70roadrunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
plymouth
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok, im gonna keep the 1st gen dash, i like it better, although the tach would be nice. im having trouble finding the inertia switch on my 91 explorer donor. anyone know where it is mounted?

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Passenger area foot well. Just pull the carpet down a bit and you'll see it.

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
ok, im gonna keep the 1st gen dash, i like it better, although the tach would be nice. im having trouble finding the inertia switch on my 91 explorer donor. anyone know where it is mounted?
Why not trying and swap the gauge clusters out of a newer 1gen?

70roadrunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
plymouth
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i pulled the carpet back, removed the computer, and the entire dash. still not seeing what i recognize as a ford inertia switch. im picturing a "box" approximately 1.5" cube shaped, with a red button about 1/2" in diameter. the only wiring left in that area is the harness to the door, and the one running back on the pass side. i removed the fuel tank and the harness to it, and didnt find it in that harness either. i have removed the computer harness, and headlight harness also. there is a box that was mounted on the radiator core support, pass side, says "EDIS" on it. is that it?

thisfords4u

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
86,87 90, 91
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if you were to sit in pass seat and put your left foot up and to the left by the tunnel at the carpet line it should be screwed to the fire wall. If you've removed the comp harness from the vehicle then youve it already, because its part of that harness.

70roadrunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
plymouth
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
found it! thanks! when i unplugged it i thought it was part of the heater.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals