• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Mazda B2500 losing coolant

99RangerKrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hey all,

I'm losing some coolant somewhere on my 1999 Mazda B2500 at the rate of about 1/4" in the reservoir per week. I'm not sure where, it's not leaving any sort of drops or puddle underneath. I also crawled underneath the truck and it's completely dry, no trace of an external leak. I've been checking the oil religiously for any sign of a bad head gasket, no snot-like consistency or graying of the oil.

I'm going to replace the radiator cap tomorrow, maybe it's not getting a sufficient seal and is letting some steam/vapor out? Not too sure, but for $8 it's worth replacing. Maybe a pinhole leak in a hose? I'm going to replace the hoses here soon. I was thinking maybe water pump or something, but again, it's completely dry underneath. Also, I don't suspect the heater core, as the carpet inside is totally dry, no sign of a leak.

I'm just trying to figure out where this coolant is going. I hate not knowing where it's ending up.

Thanks in advance.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
What's the exhaust like? Could be going into the cylinder.

99RangerKrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Normal as far as I can tell. White because it's been cold lately, but when it was warmer, no real color. I'll pay more attention to that tomorrow.

What would be an indicator that coolant is getting into the cylinder(s)?

Last edited:

99RangerKrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I went out this morn and started it up to smell the exhaust. It smells normal. It wasn't even really coming out white, although it is only 20 degrees outside.

If I have time this afternoon, I'm going to pull a plug some plugs and see if any are fouled up.

If coolant was leaking into the cylinders, what would need replaced? Cracked head or head gasket?

Last edited:

99RangerKrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well I just drove to school, about 15 miles or so. The exhaust was white I initially like it always is because it's cold out. But when the truck was warmed up, the exhaust was clear/not visible/not white. What would that tell
me?

BLS2.3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l/5spd
Transmission
Manual
My '95 is doing the same thing. I'm thinking water pump only because around the weep hole is clean compared to other ares nearby. I've noticed a 1.5"-2" puddle a bit off to the pass. side a few times.

99RangerKrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I thought of that, but I'm not getting a single drop of coolant hitting the ground.

I went back to the stealership today that I bought it from..they're having me go to the shop that they use for work and he's going to look at it. They were trying to give me crap for not buying an extended warranty when I bought it..I said that if I knew that they sold vehicles that may need a head gasket within a week of buying it I would have. I realized I was buying it "as is" but as a consumer, I, stupidly, have at least a minimal expectation that something as major as this could potentially be, would not occur. I guess that's my issue.

99RangerKrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I got it back from the dealership's shop today....

Head gasket. The technician said it's one of the "better" bad head gaskets (if there's such a thing) that he's seen. He said I could probably drive it like it is for another 20,000 miles, or it can blow completely tomorrow. It's a coin flip.

So now I'm gonna go back to the dealership on Saturday. I'm not expecting them to fix it for nothing, I'd be more than happy if they'd do half. However, I'm not expecting that either.

So I'll probably end up "trading up" as the salesmen at the dealership said last time. They have a red 2001 Ford Ranger XLT, 3.0L, 5 speed, 90K miles, 4x4. Cosmetically, it looks like it just came off the factory floor: not a single blemish on it. I was going to look at it before I bought the Mazda, but I really wanted just a 4 banger 2wd for the gas mileage. But if they work with me on the price, I'd trade up.

My92Ranger

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I would have a hard time buying ANOTHER vehicle from them if they wont make good on this one.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I got it back from the dealership's shop today....

Head gasket. The technician said it's one of the "better" bad head gaskets (if there's such a thing) that he's seen. He said I could probably drive it like it is for another 20,000 miles, or it can blow completely tomorrow. It's a coin flip.

So now I'm gonna go back to the dealership on Saturday. I'm not expecting them to fix it for nothing, I'd be more than happy if they'd do half. However, I'm not expecting that either.

So I'll probably end up "trading up" as the salesmen at the dealership said last time. They have a red 2001 Ford Ranger XLT, 3.0L, 5 speed, 90K miles, 4x4. Cosmetically, it looks like it just came off the factory floor: not a single blemish on it. I was going to look at it before I bought the Mazda, but I really wanted just a 4 banger 2wd for the gas mileage. But if they work with me on the price, I'd trade up.
most people do not need to buy a used vehicle from a Dealer. you are wasting money......How much did you pay for the Mazda.....how much is this new truck........get the Mazda repaired so that you can then without any pressure look for the truck you want.......if you look on Craiglsit for a month you will find many trucks........I am able to ask enough questions and figure out the seller so that when I go to look at the truck I almost always buy it.........PM me if you would like some help....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals