• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Intake manifold

Grego

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hello everyone,
I have a 2000 Ford ranger with a 4.0. Check engine light came on so I went to the Oriellys auto parts and borrowed there code reader. Code came up for misfire on cylinder #4. Pulled a few of the plugs including #4 to take a peak. #4 deffinatlly showed much more ware. I did a full tune up on this motor at close to 12,000 miles ago and replaced plugs, wires and coil. Have noticed that the coolant had been disappearing from the resovour and needed a topping off on accassion. Well I replaced the plug and cleared the code. The light has not come back on so far. I decided to sent a oil sample to Blackstone and they came back positive for coolant in the oil. Picked up a gasket set today for the intake manifold but want to do a little more research before I get started to see if anyone else that did this has any advice or can point to a good right up on this subject. I've owned this vehicle since it was new and now has 139,000 miles. I don't think it is the head gasket because it has never been overheated and it idles great. But who nows.
Thanks in advance, Greg.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
you have to pull the valve covers to take the intake off, so you'll need those gaskets.

make sure the coolant ports on the intake and heads are clean and smooth and degreased. smear RTV on both sides of the gasket at all 4 coolant ports.

then you'll need dollup at the 4 corners where the base of the gaskets meet the block and a bead on the front and back ridges of the block

Grego

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you Brutus!
Really appreciate, and I will do that for sure!
Greg.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals