• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Engine Swap 1988 Bronco II 4x4

Donny148

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
For
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey everyone. I'm new to the site.
I'm thinking about swapping out a 2.9 V6 an stuffing in a 5.0 V8 out of a 1999 Mercury Mountaineer (AWD). I just acquired the Mountaineer so I have a complete donor. I have found a lot of info on making the swap. However there are several thing I'm not sure of yet. So any help or advise I can get would be appreciated.

The first obstacle I have is can I use the auto trans from the mountaineer and change the AWD transfer case to a standard transfer? Or will the transfer case already in the 1988 Bronco II (5spd trans) bolt or adapt?

The second major obstacle is the computer system. I'm not sure I can, or with great difficultly, adapt the computer management system from the mountaineer to the Bronco II.

Any advise would be helpful before I get in to deep

Thanks!

KSBauer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 for now
Transmission
Manual
Hey Donnie,

Swapping in that modern of a motor is doable, but the biggest obstacle is the Passive-Anti Theft System (PATS)in the Merc's computer. Anything is possible, but it's up to you how much wiring you want to do. The more common 5.0 swaps are done >96 because they do not deal with OBDII. If you have them both side by side and can rob every little thing you may need off of it, I'd say just shoot to swap over ALL the wiring. It's newer, and you could retain all the factory luxuries of the newer vehicle. It's up to you how much effort and knowlage on the swap you have. Just make sure you trim the heaterbox enough, if you don't that dancing 302 will win the fight wth it and replacing it will be a pain.

Donny148

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
For
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the suggestions That's one of my concerns, PATS system, and how difficult it will be to adapt to an older vehicle. I'm up for the challenge. I'm seriously considering swapping over some of the more modern features also.

I'm also thinking about installing a 2 inch body lift to hopefully allow a little more clearance for the 5.0 under the hood.

KSBauer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 for now
Transmission
Manual
If you're doing a side by side conversion, meaning you have the donor vehicle, complete and you can take anything off it, the swap would be incredibly easy. Just swap over every inch of wire. PATS system would be unaffected, but you will run into a few snags. Your interest in the body lift is good, but I'm not a fan of them. While the engine bay is gutted, you could very easily cut out a bigger doghouse for clearance and it'll make servicing the Bronco a heck of a lot easier.

Donny148

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
For
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Huh, hadn't thought about cutting out a bigger doghouse. I like that idea. Thanks
Yea I have the complete mountaineer. It's almost a shame to tear it apart. I got it for almost nothing. Just has light damage to right fender, needs transfer case replaced and engine needs gone through, witch I planned to do any way. I'd like to find another Bronco II, just frame and Body. Hard to find around here, everyone has crashed all the old car because of the price of metal. Savage yards are all about gone around here.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals