• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Timing Queston

pat julian

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Changed the timing belt on my 93 2.3 five speed a couple weeks ago..all is fine..but it pings going up hills..did it before the change also...is there a way to adjust the timing...has to be..there are marks on the cover..i have a light and access to my son..the real mechanic..lol...thanks...:beer:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Does it have a distributor? What octane rating gas are you using?

Mylesofsmyles

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hang on, and don't get carried away...

I'd go and Double/Triple check that I put that belt on properly...

Its quick to pop off the serpentine belt and cover, and turn motor by hand,and line the shafts up.

Dunno how those distributorless ones work, but you could have the intermediate shaft off by a tooth, or the cam...

If you didn't have the problem before changing the belt...the new belt won't change ANYTHING, so time to see if it was your work, or strange coincidence.

ricardo93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Check your egr system and see if it clogged or if it has restricted flow

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
If you didn't have the problem before changing the belt...
FYI

it pings going up hills..did it before the change also...
I assumed his son being "the real mechanic", he knew about the timing marks. Great suggestion, and I agree it should be checked.

I see the 93 is distributorless. If you are using low octane fuel, sometimes that is the issue. Seems like Ford recommended 89 octane for it. As I recall, these 2.3's really don't care for platinum plugs - and prefer copper plugs. My Buddy had a Mustang that he put them stupid Splitfire Platinum plugs in, and it pinged like crazy after a month or two. We went back to the old school Motorcraft copper plugs, and bada bing. You can also try cleaning the MAF.

pat julian

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
OK..Thanks..I'm using 87 octane..the cheapest, it has a new egr valve, the timing belt was replaced exactly as it came off..did not move a tooth either direction, plugs are the basic motorcraft copper...truck has 160K on it...i put about 250 miles per day on it..so i fill up every night..i'll start running 89 octane and see if that helps the pinging....although it will hurt the pocket book a bit..MAF has been cleaned as well..and it was pinging before the timing belt change...best guess from everyones comments is going up to 89 octane...also for reference new cat on it..as well a fuel pump..no CEL....:beer:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals