• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Turn signal problem

Lady J

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
98 Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I haven't seen this one here- (98 Ranger)
My turn signal will not work if I push the lever all the way down, and "on".

They will work if I hold it in between on and off. And sometimes if I push them all the way down (or on) if I first put in the halfway on position.

They work, so it's not the fuse or bulb - right?
They blink, so it's not the flasher - right?

From another post here -
"The multifunction switch is a prime suspect. At least it is easy to get to, and if you remove the steering column trim peices you can run some tests to better confirm that it's faulty before you remove and replace it. "

What are the tests on the multifunction switch to confirm?

Any help? - I can live with all the other quirks that it has (Ford is JUNK!)- door ajar light, no dome light, weird radio volume thing, but this will not pass inspection like this.

Last edited:

BlaineM

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The symptoms you describe sound very much like dirty contacts within the multifunction switch. I am sure the multifunction switch can be disassembled and cleaned. (I successfully did this on my '97 Taurus, but I recall the switch being tricky to get back together right). To "test" the MFS you will have to access the connector for the switch. Once you do that you might as well remove the switch. You will need a wiring diagram and a multimeter to test for continuity across the pins of the plug. If you are not comfortable doing that, get a good used switch from a wrecker and swap it.

The door ajar light stays on because the "door ajar switch" gets dirty and the button sticks in. The dome light probably does not work because someone removed the bulb or pulled the fuse because the sticking button on the "door ajar switch" causes the dome light to stay on all the time.

http://www.offroadrangers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19469

My 1997 Ranger had the same annoying problems when I got it. Now that I have dealt with them, the Ranger is a solid and reliable vehicle.

Last edited:

Quiksurf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
find a chemical called DeOxit remove mf switch and spray internally until it ovewrflows. manipulate the switch for like 5-10 mins and reinstall. you should be fine

Lady J

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
98 Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the info.

I was wrong about it not passing inspection - they don't HOW they blink - just as long as they do.
But I will want to try cleaning the switch, thanks.

ranprieur

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I had exactly this problem, but only with the right signal. It worked with the lever part way over, but all the way over it rarely worked.

After reading this thread, I managed to remove the multifunction switch, and it opened up easily with a T10 torx screwdriver. The photo below shows what it looked like inside -- and it was also helpful for putting it back together! After cleaning the green gunk off, it works great.

multifunction.jpg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals