• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Is it at ALL possible to wire in a 4wd tranny/tcase using 2wd wire harness??

treeguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Is it at ALL possible to wire in a 4wd tranny/tcase using 2wd tranny wire harness??

I am stuck against a brick wall. . . no local junk yards seem to have a Gen II ranger 5speed & manual t-case to steal the wiring harnesses for both to wire in my project 2wd to 4wd 1990 . . . I am trying to mate a mitsu fm146/bw1530 to a 1990 ranger 2wd wire harness and can't figure out how to wire in the necessary stuff to at least get it functional :dunno:(ie out of my sisters car port) any ideas or input . . . . both trucks are 2.9L 5-speeds with the donor 4wd being an 88 . .. arrgghh . ..:annoyed:

Last edited:

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
well, other than making it look good, do you really NEED to wire it in? if it's manual shift it shouldn't matter one way or another.

treeguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
My main concern is the tranny . . . I want to neutral sensor to function (makes it idle nicely I've heard) and the back up lights would be a plus ... t-case can wait till later if need be . . .

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
The back up lights would be a definite plus.

I've never heard of a neutral position sensor effect idling. As far as I know, it only effects starting (won't start unless it's in neutral). Which I guess is ok. When my friend Mack got his J10 (which had a stick) he nearly ran me over twice because he left it in gear when he tried to start it. And because he had only driven automatics, he forgot about that 3rd pedal...

Shouldn't that all still be on the transmission though? Similar connectors even? (or did you use a different transmission than the one that was in it?)

All I have seen are on the transmission top cover (neutral switch and reverse lights). Don't take this as insulting your intelligence, I get the feeling they're in fact not where I think they would be.

Last edited:

slammer67

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
the neutral safety switch for starting is on the clutch pedal on my 95 - I had it bypassed for awhile when I did my swap, but finally wired it up.

The 2wd tranny should have the wires for the reverse lights and for neutral to the computer if you need that, Youd just have to test them to find out where to splice the new tranny wires into. the 4wd setup should have extra wires for showing when it's in 4x4, but I don't see it being too hard to get everything working.

are the plugs totally different?

treeguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
The truck was originally 2wd, it is a 1990 Ranger XLT extended cab with a 2.9L 5 Speed trans. I just got the 4wd crossmember welded in, and front axle mounted. AllenD mentioned the neutral sensing sensor and that it seems to tell the engine when to idle down in neutral. The donor 4wd parts came from a 1988 Ranger XLT 2.9L, 5 speed man t-case . .. I will check the plugs . . .

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals