• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Aftermarket 2.9 camshaft

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I've tried the search but no luck.

Has anyone installed any type of performance camshaft in a 2.9 and what were the results ??

My reason for asking is I have a spare 2.9 that has a wicked valvetrain rattle. I've torn it down and can't really see anything wrong with it other than suspect cam bearings. I will install new bearings and camshaft/lifters. So why not a performance cam ??

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
i tried asking and they were all very tight lipped about the camcraft stuff.probably because they spent all the money and diden't get much back!one good thing though is a camcraft cam is comparable in price to buying a stock replacement cam.

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
i tried asking and they were all very tight lipped about the camcraft stuff.probably because they spent all the money and diden't get much back!one good thing though is a camcraft cam is comparable in price to buying a stock replacement cam.
I'd like to see a dyno sheet on that. Have you tried that cam ??? I'm not looking for anecdotal stories. I want first hand experience stories.

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
I did get a middle of the road cam from cam craft.

BUT....i can't really say that it has gotten me great improvements...not that doest run or anything...it does run very well, now. but I got my truck when it wasn't running, sooo I can't compare before and after, & my experience with rangers and the 2.9 is pretty much nonexistant to boot. ~double wammy~

i was hoping for abit more bottom end & throttle response...but there again it maybe lack of gear ratio on mine rather then lack of engine or some more twiking as far as a sensor not working properly or shift module, axle bearings, fuel pump??...etc.

Sometimes it lauches really well with moderate throttle, (top1/4-1/3), others times it feels like it dragging cousin Alfreds dead elephant. but one of the other cams may be more geared for that, more bottom throttle??IDK

i do get a just bit of a lope on idle not much and usually after it's warm. And maybe i'm just hoping for it....you hear things on your own rig that others may not...that kinda thing. with better exhuast I think it would sound pretty tough.

if i mash it hard... & it hooks up....hang on...it moves VERY well....Make no mistake, it isn't a hardened firebreather, tire smok"n beast on Pinks. and I haven't geared this rebuild for Mudd'n or crawl'n, it is a Daily Driver

If I had it to all over again...Id' go with the 4.0 swap if the rig was 1st gen, purely for performanace upgrades availability ...if it was 2nd gen. with the heavier axles D35's as opossed the D28's...the 5.0 swap would be my choice. Mind you, that is hind site talking and a fairly open & healthy check book.

Just a recap; if I could drive a standard/factory ranger like mine, or reasonably close... then turn around and drive mine, I might have a diffierent out look as to my out look of expectations. But really don't see that happening or anytime soon. to get that apples to apples comparision.

Last edited:

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Nobody here has installed an aftermarket cam in thier 2.9 ???:shok:

I've torn the engine down and the 2 center cam bearings are wiped out. Basicly worn a small groove in the bearing surface that is suppose to be smooth.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Nobody here has installed an aftermarket cam in thier 2.9 ???:shok:
I have a .435" Intake / .455" Exhaust 111 LDA custom ground cam in mine. It's not a Camcraft, though. It's a base circle cam, they're junk, but it made a hell of an improvement on the upper RPM range. I am not sure if camcraft does base circle cams or not. Also could have used a stall converter, but for the price, it was unjustifiable. Might as well get a manual for the reliability.

I never took it to a Dyno, so I never chimed in. A friend of mine timed my 0-60 @ high 6 / low seven est. My truck is rarely used as a "truck", so I didn't need to focus on the low end... It's all about what you're after on selection. My setup would be terrible offroading, which I never do. Haven't had to tow much, moved a couple of times...

It also helped on the top speed (obviously). I am not going to say how I know, but it will break 100+, whereas it struggled at 90-95mph w/ A4LD in O/D before. It has beaten a 4.6L T-Bird stock (not on top speed though). I got beat badly by this same T-Bird in a Pontiac w/ a 262ci on take off and top end.

You will need to go MAF (as I did) or custom PCM for too aggressive of a cam. Camcraft mainly sells PCM friendly cams, which no, you probably won't see a great improvement. A MAF PCM is not the only thing that needed changed, obviously you're going to want your motor to demand and expel more air flow.

+1 to gears. Forced induction is the only practical way to see a BIG gain.

A mild cam will work good with the stock components, getting into the more aggressive, you're opening a new can of worms.

Pete

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
Use Of An Aftermarket Cam In Ford 2.9L

Hello,

I have a Deltacam camshaft in my BII, rebuilt 2.9L, rebuilt A4LD, 4X4, 4" lift, 33" rubber; the cam complements my rebuild and related mods, however, I failed to degree the cam for maximum torque when installed so it isn't working at peak performance yet. The engine is strong but the A4LD doesn't work the way I am used to driving (normally a Ranger, 2.9 with 5 speed).

To more fully answer your question without an actual dyno printout; I can say from a mechanical stand point that the CAMSHAFT is the heart of the engine, proper camshaft selection is the single most important aspect of a motor build. Take your use goal into consideration and seek the advise of reputable and experience builders.

My goal is maximum torque and fuel performance. My BII used to get 11.4 mpg with 27" tires and no lift, it is now getting 19 mpg with 33" tires and 4" lift and to mention weight additions (suspension components, bumpers and accessories).:derisive:
gaz

Dantebxvi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
performance cam

I am replacing all the gaskets on a 2.9l to drop in my BII and figured now would be as good a time as any to cam it. I have found a cam and lifters and was wondering if I had to change the pushrods too. If so, what length pushrods would I need?

truckerdawg

Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
31X10.50
I have used camcraft and I say they are an improvement over stock that you can notice. If you have a manual get the biggest cam they make for the 2.9. These things are not wicked like you find in your more aggressive small block Ford and Chevy profiles that rob you of vacuum with long duration. But one thing I would also do before you put back together is to do the solid lifter modification to your hydraulic lifters to insure you get rid of that lifter tick. Blocks that ticked have a tendency to tick again very soon and blocks that never ticked are best to rebuild-why do some tick and some do not? But with the solid lifter you will keep your cam profile and no, you do not need a solid lifter cam. The 2.9's are adjustable to get the lifters/rockers adjusted. That ticking is robbing your cam profile. And run the 90 heads.

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
I’m surprised no one has said this yet so I think I will. The best cam you can buy is...... wait for it... a 4.0 swap [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrutalPanda

Reaction score
I’m surprised no one has said this yet so I think I will. The best cam you can buy is...... wait for it... a 4.0 swap [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How original.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
"...... wait for it..."
:icon_confused:.... :popcorn:.... :annoyed:.... :popcorn:.... :mad:.... :popcorn:.... :temper:.... :popcorn:.... :pissedoff:.... :popcorn:.... :buttkick:.... :)

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals