• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Been awhile...but hope remains

zekew64

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L I4, rebuilt from a '91
Transmission
Manual
Hey y'all. It's been some time since I've been on here, but I have been researching and planning a build for my truck since she went down in October with a cam bearing seizure.

This is my basic build:
- 2.5l rotating assembly in '91 block. After checking the numbers, this "should" work. Crank, pistons, con-rods.
- 2.3l head with 2.3l intake and exhaust. This is to maintain the 2.3l electronics.
- 2.3 valves, cam. 2.5l springs and cam roller rockers.
- Replacement of my cab and box. These are in the process of rotting out.
- Using 8.8 rear axle as a base, a change to rear gear ratio, with the goal being 3.73 final drive ratio.
- Adding an aftermarket proportioning valve to brake system. The Explorer master cylinder does not have an integrated proportioning valve, as I keep blowing the right rear Mustang caliper that I have installed currently. Reason? Braking balance on Ranger is way different than '94-'04 Mustang.

But that's all! Wish me luck!

Note: Tearing down my head, I found out that I have 2.5l valve springs. I discovered this measuring the free height of the springs, which was 2". The stock 89-94 springs are 1.877" tall. So, the taller springs with spacer amounts to, IMO, a gain of 3-6 HP, depending on RPM and wear of timing belt and cam bearings.

Note 2: I discovered some wrong info regarding the Lima block. Under the info on here, regarding the Lima engine family, Ford evidently continued the production of the turbo block casting beyond 1988. I found this because my '91 block has a square, threaded plug halfway back on the exhaust side of the block. Checking my block numbers - E89E-6015-AD - I confirmed that the block I have is, in fact, a 1989-1994 block. Therefore, since I have the option of having a turbo, I want to build a motor that includes one using the 2.3l block/2.5l internals.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals