• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Stalling, Backfiring, and exploded muffer

BrockB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Single Cab Rang
Transmission
Manual
Recently after having stalling issues with my 2.3 I blindly changed my fuel pump and filter thinking that would fix it. Once the safety switch for fuel was plugged in and the lines primed (no leaks) the truck fired up and ran for 10-15 minutes. I was in the garage monitoring it while cleaning up. After about 15 minute it sputtered and stalled out but i heard something spinning from around the top of the engine when it was just turned off. Once the engine was off i heard a dripping sound but found none under the. I let it sit for awhile and tried to start it again and it fired on a few cylinders then backfired so hard it blew my muffler up. I stopped after that and have not touch the truck since... Any suggestions or help would be greatly appeciated if i didnt kill this enginw :sad:

Thanks for reading, My mechanical knowledge isnt great but im learning quickly

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
A clogged muffler would have explained your previous symptoms... And now it unclogged itself. :icon_thumby:

BrockB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Single Cab Rang
Transmission
Manual
A clogged muffler would have explained your previous symptoms... And now it unclogged itself. :icon_thumby:
Hopfully lmao!!! im suprized the autozone exhaust clamps didnt fly, actually hed pressure to the muffer

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Itll be loud... Obviously... But I would start it back up and see if it runs OK now just to verify the muffler was the issue before you replace it. If it's still backfiring or stalling you definitely still need a new muffler but need to keep looking for the root of the problem before you destroy a new muffler. Even if it was in fact a clogged muffler, you still need to figure out why it clogged. Broken catalyst from the cat is the usual suspect in these cases but sometimes it can just be a really cheap muffler.

Last edited:

BrockB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Single Cab Rang
Transmission
Manual
Itll be loud... Obviously... But I would start it back up and see if it runs OK now just to verify the muffler was the issue before you replace it. If it's still backfiring or stalling you definitely still need a new muffler but need to keep looking for the root of the problem before you destroy a new muffler. Even if it was in fact a clogged muffler, you still need to figure out why it clogged. Broken catalyst from the cat is the usual suspect in these cases but sometimes it can just be a really cheap muffler.
Im going to go thru all the sensors on the truck for the fuel system and if i cant come up with anything ill drop the cat to see if thatll help if all else failsl

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1997 and earlier Rangers use a Return fuel system

So on the engine's fuel rail is the Fuel Pressure Regulator(FPR), it has the Return Fuel line attached AND a vacuum hose attached.

Find the 2 fuel lines coming up from the drivers side frame rail, one will run to the Fuel rail, thats the IN from fuel pump
The other runs to the FPR, that's the OUT back to gas tank

Now pull off the Vacuum hose on the FPR and check it for gasoline, if FPR should leak then gasoline would be sucked into the intake by the vacuum pressure, causing Rich running and if enough unburned fuel makes thru the engine and into the Cats and muffler, it will cause backfires and "explosions"

The Rich running will cause misfires and stalling as engine floods out

Sensors rarely fail but are often replaced, lol
Only sensor that does wear out is the O2 sensor, it uses a chemical reaction to detect oxygen in the exhaust so chemicals get used up, generally 150k miles is a good time to replace O2 sensor, it pays for itself in the next 150k miles in better MPG

As far as the other sensors, unplug them and check connection for corrosion, then plug them back in, this unplugging and plugging back in are why "new" sensors often fix problems, connectors were dirty reducing voltage, so just needed to be cleaned by unplugging and plugging back in
Alot of the sensors use .1 to 5 volts, so need good clean electric connection to pass the correct voltage to the computer

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals