• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel pump going out and bad filter?

BrockB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Single Cab Rang
Transmission
Manual
My truck has recently been struggling to run when i start it when its cold. Let it warm up and it would be find. stalled out twice but was able to start back up on my way back home. Stalled out again down the street so i just parked it there for the night. Next morning i tried to start it and it started fine. It was back firing alot when it would die, it would kind of surge and stumble in 1st or 2nd and then just die.

Will a fuel filter, Fuel pump, and injector cleaner with a fresh tank of gas clear it all up?

Thanks for reading, first post let me know if i posted wrong or in wrong section

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
A new fuel pump and filter may fix it. Or it might not, you need to be sure that fuel is the problem first, and I don't see where you have made that determination.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
Implied above, but not stated, is the need to check that the fuel system is the problem rather than other things, such as the ignition system, the idle control, and so on.
You need to check fuel delivered volume over time, and the pressure the system develops before throwing parts at it.
tom

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My truck has recently been struggling to run when i start it when its cold. Let it warm up and it would be find. stalled out twice but was able to start back up on my way back home. Stalled out again down the street so i just parked it there for the night. Next morning i tried to start it and it started fine. It was back firing alot when it would die, it would kind of surge and stumble in 1st or 2nd and then just die.

Will a fuel filter, Fuel pump, and injector cleaner with a fresh tank of gas clear it all up?

Thanks for reading, first post let me know if i posted wrong or in wrong section

What year Ranger, assume 1986 and up since injectors are mentioned?

When you turn on the key you can hear the fuel pump run for 2 seconds, it is not quiet, HUMMMM can be heard in the cab, turn down the radio.

Repeat the key on and off as much as needed so you know the sound of the fuel pump working, it will only run for 2 seconds to Prime the system, but it will do that EACH TIME the key is turned on

Now see if NOT hearing the fuel pump come on corresponds to the No Start.

There is a Fuel Pump Relay that the computer controls, so the computer turns on the fuel pump for those 2 seconds then turns it off.
After engine starts computer will turn on fuel pump full time
Relays can go bad, and can OPEN if you hit a bump, shouldn't but can, when they are failing

Tell us the year and we can tell you where that relay is

Pre-1994 Ranger used a separate Spark module, while its unlikely this is the problem it could be.
If you turn on the key and HEAR the fuel pump, but have the No Start then could be a spark issue

Stalling while driving is usually not a fuel pump issue, more likely to be electrical issue, corroded or failing connections.
If fuel pump itself fails then it usually won't restart, its done.
If stalling occurs at a regular interval then could be a dirty fuel filter, you run out of gas until filter can pass more gas thru.
They are only $10 and need to be changed every 5 years so no brainer to just change it.

Last edited:

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
If the engine stalls when you wiggle the ignition key/switch, you may have a worn out switch. Some get very sensitive to position and will turn off the power to the ignition whenever they are moved even slightly. If you suspect the switch by that description, you could try holding the switch in place to see if that eliminated the stalling.
When cold, does the engine idle faster than when it is warmed up? A failing or sticky IAC can cause low cold idle, which could lead to stalling.
Backfire could be caused by a too-lean mixture, implying lack of fuel, and could cause stumbling and lurching in the lower gears or on acceleration, and bumpy/trailer-hitching at higher speeds.
tom

BrockB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Single Cab Rang
Transmission
Manual
If the engine stalls when you wiggle the ignition key/switch, you may have a worn out switch. Some get very sensitive to position and will turn off the power to the ignition whenever they are moved even slightly. If you suspect the switch by that description, you could try holding the switch in place to see if that eliminated the stalling.
When cold, does the engine idle faster than when it is warmed up? A failing or sticky IAC can cause low cold idle, which could lead to stalling.
Backfire could be caused by a too-lean mixture, implying lack of fuel, and could cause stumbling and lurching in the lower gears or on acceleration, and bumpy/trailer-hitching at higher speeds.
tom
When i first got the truck i cleaned the throttle body, changed the IAC, and put a new TPS in. Maybe the new IAC is failing because those are the exact problems i am having. I was able to get the fuel pump / filter through rock auto so its not such a loss, who knows when they were changed last

BrockB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Single Cab Rang
Transmission
Manual
What year Ranger, assume 1986 and up since injectors are mentioned?

When you turn on the key you can hear the fuel pump run for 2 seconds, it is not quiet, HUMMMM can be heard in the cab, turn down the radio.

Repeat the key on and off as much as needed so you know the sound of the fuel pump working, it will only run for 2 seconds to Prime the system, but it will do that EACH TIME the key is turned on

Now see if NOT hearing the fuel pump come on corresponds to the No Start.

There is a Fuel Pump Relay that the computer controls, so the computer turns on the fuel pump for those 2 seconds then turns it off.
After engine starts computer will turn on fuel pump full time
Relays can go bad, and can OPEN if you hit a bump, shouldn't but can, when they are failing

Tell us the year and we can tell you where that relay is

Pre-1994 Ranger used a separate Spark module, while its unlikely this is the problem it could be.
If you turn on the key and HEAR the fuel pump, but have the No Start then could be a spark issue

Stalling while driving is usually not a fuel pump issue, more likely to be electrical issue, corroded or failing connections.
If fuel pump itself fails then it usually won't restart, its done.
If stalling occurs at a regular interval then could be a dirty fuel filter, you run out of gas until filter can pass more gas thru.
They are only $10 and need to be changed every 5 years so no brainer to just change it.
I replaced the fuel pump and filter to be on the safe side since i dont know when they were last done. The truck will start and run for about 40ish seconds before stalling out. Ive replaced Spark plugs, Coil packs, IAC, TPS, ECM. Its a 1990 2.3 dual coil single cab ranger. Thanks for the replies im kinda lost here on what to do

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
QUOTE: The truck will start and run for about 40ish seconds before stalling out.

When cold, the idle should be above 1,000rpm.
Do you have a 'fast' cold idle at startup?

If no, then the IAC is not functioning. Unless the computer is being 'told' by the coolant temperature sensor that the coolant is up to operating temperature. In that case, it would be just as if you had driven, parked, and then re-started a 'hot engine'.
You could check that the fuel pressure has not gone down by poking at the shraeder valve in the fuel rail to see if it will squirt some fuel after it stalls. If you lose pressure, the injectors won't have anything to inject. There should be fuel pressure in the fuel rail(where the injectors get fed from) for some time after the key is turned to OFF.
tom

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals