• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2000 Ranger w/ 98 5.0

nikica

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 Ranger wit
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys Im currently trying to button up my swap. Full tubed chassis with long travel suspension front and rear. I had the donor explorer which I thought I pulled all the wiring I needed but I missed a few things in the cab which I dint think should be a big deal. Only harness I'm missing is the center console one.

I swapped over the engine bay harness, the harness behind the dash, the wiring on the steering column and wiring that goes from cab to fuel pump/rear. Pretty much I'm using the v8 donors key, engine wiring harness, dash wiring harness, rear wiring harness, computer, and motor.

I finally got everything buttoned up today and went to go start but had no power at the key. I have a feeling its something to do with the starter solenoid? When I had the wires hooked up to the solenoid a certain way it would make the ringing (constant ringing) noise in the cab with no key in the ignition. When I arced the wires on the solenoid it cranked the motor over. Something between the solenoid and key is wrong. Does anyone have a photo of their starter solenoid hooked up?

I still need to check relays and fuses. I checked grounds about 10 times and they all look good.

its not letting me post photos either of my current setup...

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
pats disabled?

nikica

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 Ranger wit
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
pats disabled?

How would I know? How would it get disabled if I didn't really tamper with it since I used all the wiring/keys/computer together from the same explorer?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
i was asking if you intentionally disabled it.

i have it deleted. i hate it.

no power at the ignition switch for the whole system or just no crank power?

if its crank only issue....is the mlps hooked up and adjusted correctly?

sounds like you hooked a ground up with some powers together at one point with the ghosting of the buzzers and such...hopefully the pcm was not murdered during the process.

nikica

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 Ranger wit
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I did not disable it.

I have no power at all at the key. When I turn it to the accessory mode I have nothing come on at the dash, I don't hear the starter solenoid engage, & I don't hear the fuel pump engage.

How did you disable the pats system?

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
I did not disable it.

I have no power at all at the key. When I turn it to the accessory mode I have nothing come on at the dash, I don't hear the starter solenoid engage, & I don't hear the fuel pump engage.

How did you disable the pats system?
Second on what bobby says. You got a wire crossed up. 98 explorer and 2000 use the same pats.Did you swap in the pats box from behind the explorer passenger air bag to the same spot on the ranger? You are trying to start the ignition with the explorer key and the ranger pats box is looking for the ranger key. The only way to get rid of the pats is to have it tuned out with a programmer and a custom tune.

nikica

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 Ranger wit
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Second on what bobby says. You got a wire crossed up. 98 explorer and 2000 use the same pats.Did you swap in the pats box from behind the explorer passenger air bag to the same spot on the ranger? You are trying to start the ignition with the explorer key and the ranger pats box is looking for the ranger key. The only way to get rid of the pats is to have it tuned out with a programmer and a custom tune.
No I swapped everything over. Everything behind the dash is from the 302 explorer. Im using the explorer key, harness behind dash, harness in cab that goes to fuel pump/rear, harness for the motor & etc. I literally swapped everything over.

Also if its the PATS system then it should still crank but not turnover. I think the PATS system only cuts the fuel pump if I read correctly.

Does anyone have a photo of their starter solenoid & a photo of their steering column wiring that they can please send over??

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
No I swapped everything over. Everything behind the dash is from the 302 explorer. Im using the explorer key, harness behind dash, harness in cab that goes to fuel pump/rear, harness for the motor & etc. I literally swapped everything over.

Also if its the PATS system then it should still crank but not turnover. I think the PATS system only cuts the fuel pump if I read correctly.

Does anyone have a photo of their starter solenoid & a photo of their steering column wiring that they can please send over??
The pcm doesn't supply the ground to the fuel injectors until it gets the correct signal from the pats box. Yes it should still jut turn over. The theft light on the instrument panel would flash rapidly if pats was preventing it from starting.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
if you have it all, and the pats is pissed the security light should flash. and dashlights obviously....

your sure all the under dash connectors are together? maybe one is loose somewhere on the column...

can you supply a picture of the battery connections.?.

nikica

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 Ranger wit
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yea Im not even getting any kind of power to the instrument cluster & dash...

You want a photo of my battery? Ill try to snap one but its a red top optima battery located in the bed of my truck. I know it's good because I pulled it out of a running truck just moments before installing into the v8 ranger. Plus when I arced the wires at the starter solenoid then my truck started to crank with consistent power so I know it has juice and is supplying juice to the solenoid/starter/alternator.

I have to check all my fuses and relays first. If its not there I might pull my dash apart again and see if something is not plugged in there...?

Can anyone send me a photo of their starter solenoid so I can see how all the wires are run to it?

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
On my 2001 if you insert a non-PATS key, it won't even crank over. It flashes the security light rapidly, but no engine cranking and no power to anything.

You then have to insert two PATS keys one immediately after the other to disable the security lock-out mode.

GB :)

nikica

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 Ranger wit
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Guys I got it figured out! Just wanted to give an update.
1. Starter solenoid was hooked up incorrectly.
2. Didn't have the 3 plugs connected in the gauge cluster which is why it was showing no power at my cluster.
3. My trans was in gear which is why it wouldn't let me crank the motor over. I had the shifter disconnected because I purchased an art carr shifter and was going to mount that after I got it running.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Glad you got it figured out.

nikica

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 Ranger wit
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Jump the starter over with a screw driver to see if it had power there.. Or a test light.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals