• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3 no spark

Derick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I picked up an 83 ranger not running. it has a 2.3 motor, manual trans. I put a spark plug in the high voltage wire from the coil, no spark. Bench tested the coil, .9 ohms on the primary coils and 7.79k ohms on the secondary. I could get the coil to spark on the bench. when it is in the truck it has power to the coil but is only 7 volts. I am thinking the ICM, but not sure how to test. I am getting frustrated and any help would be great.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Yes, key on voltage at the coil would be under 8volts, thats normal, system uses a Ballast Resistor to lower the 12v at the coil, makes coil last longer when engine is running at 14volts
When you turn the key to START you should see 10+ volts at the coil, there is another wire that bypass's the Ballast Resistor when key is in START, But.......starter motor draws down battery voltage about 2 volts, so 10v not 12v

You can hot wire the coil, 12v direct from battery to "+" terminal, will not hurt anything
That would check if bypass wiring is not working

Remove distributor cap and look at the rotor, crank the engine and see if it turns
More than a few, myself included, just assume timing belt is OK
If it breaks then no spark because distributor isn't turning

Derick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks ron. the timing belt is ok, and the distributor rotor is spinning. I will put a jumper to the coil and see if that does anything, but I think the coil is ok. I tested for power at the icm with the key on, and I have no power at the two wire plug (red and white wire), the only power is on a green wire on the 4 wire plug. I put a jumper to the red wire on the 2 wire plug and still no spark. I am thinking an icm or ignition switch problem, but still cant quite figure it out, and don't want to just throw parts at it.

Derick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Had the Ignition control module tested at the auto parts store and was bad, Put a new one in and now have spark. Yay!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good work :icon_thumby:

Thanks for posting the fix

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals