Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Help Forums - Engine & Transmission Forums > Forced Induction

Notices

Forced Induction This forum is for ALL Turbo and Supercharger topics. This includes the 2.3L Turbo topics.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:29 AM   #11
8thTon

Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
8thTon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetroleumJunkie412 View Post
That was my exact idea, and why the Toyota SC12 is in the running. Cool little supercharger with an electric clutch on it. Looks like it would bolt right in to the slot where my a/c compressor was.

I would have to overdrive it to a pretty ridiculous degree to get it to push enough wind, but, with a switch rigged into the tach, I could have it auto engage and disengage to avoid over-revving it and shooting supercharger shrapnel into my intake. Or have the clutch stick and do exactly that.

From the math, a 1000 cc supercharger looks like what I would want to find. But these little AMR500 blowers can be had refurbished for the super cheap on fleaBay. So, figured I'd post on here to have some people shoot all kinds of holes in my idea first.

Not looking for a dragstrip mini truck here. Just want something novel that gets onto a highway a little easier. And maybe to listen to some boost whine. So, I'm hoping you're response is possible; it was my rationale.
I remember reading about those clutched blowers years ago, but I don't remember the conditions under which they kicked them in - was it low or high rpm, or maybe based on load? Did they have a means of byapassing the air flow around the blower when it was off, or didn't that matter?
8thTon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Supporting Member.

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 29781F0E77DE4B Expires: March 31, 2019
Old 01-20-2019, 10:06 AM   #12
PetroleumJunkie412

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: Ranger
Vehicle Model: XLT
PetroleumJunkie412 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thTon View Post
I remember reading about those clutched blowers years ago, but I don't remember the conditions under which they kicked them in - was it low or high rpm, or maybe based on load? Did they have a means of byapassing the air flow around the blower when it was off, or didn't that matter?
From what I've read, they are a two lobe roots style, so when switched off, it doesn't seem to impede flow.

They were used in the Previa minivan on a Mad Max style controller. Guess it was for when you were late to soccer and needed to become the Road Warrior.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk
PetroleumJunkie412 is offline   Reply With Quote