• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Weak console

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just seems to me that every damn 60/40 center console I find is broken. The lid is always cracked and smashed into the console itself. Is there any aftermarket lid or whole console available that is stronger and can actually support the weight of an elbow? Any updated version? Anything is better than these chinsy factory ones

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
My daughter broke mine on a trip to Florida when she put her hand on it to lift herself up and scoot back in the seat. They're pretty weak and I don't have a good solution for it. Just keeping my eyes open for a used one and then perhaps reinforcing the lid a bit... not sure it's even possible.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Shoot truck Mazda 3000 was completely smashed down into it, my 05 seats in my 94 look good but the top has cracked so I put all my arm weight on the very inside lip of it where the side of the console is, new console on the new seats in the shop truck same as mine, as is my buddy with an 01.

The older consoles seem like they’re broken less often when I see them, is there any way to make them work on the newer style seats?

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
I have never seen a kit to fix the 60/40 Console.
have you ever considered taking the existing console out, replacing the center console with an explorer short console, then if the Console Arm Rest breaks there is a fix for it !

I took out my 60/40, from my '03 EDGE, replaced with a set of buckets from an FX4, and found a good center console, but when I took out my seat, Driver and passenger, I found the following:
1) the passenger side is a standard bucket seat, and other than the track and floor pan, it was the same as the drivers side, less the Lumbar Support.
2) the Extended Arm for the 60% side of the seat was bolted on.. not welded, so it could be removed and a new seat cover found.
3) my tracks and floor pan also bolted on and bolted directly to the FX4 Seals.

Everything was a bolt in, funny, most write-ups said welding was required !
I know this doesn't answer your question about fixing the 60/40 Console Problem, but it does give you options to replace your seats with 40/40/Console Seat setup.

Remember you may only need to replace the driver's side seat not both seats !

Ltr

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals