• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1990 Ford Ranger Pricing...Is it worth it?

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Found a Ranger for a kid I know that I'm wondering if its worth the money even with needing head gaskets and possibly new heads as it has the 2.9L V6 engine.

Link is to a local Craigslist ad.

http://boise.craigslist.org/cto/3996828207.html

Thinking about trying to talk the guy down to around $1k due to the truck has been sitting for 5-6 years since the head gasket blew, meaning a lot of work in going through and replacing all the fluids, putting in new head gaskets, probably new heads as they were driving it around after they found the gaskets had failed. Not sure what to do, any advice is greatly appreciated. Going to go look at it Monday. Looks to be in pretty descent shape body wise, its a 5 speed (guessing the M5OD), electric shift 4x4 (not thrilled about that, but guess it can be swapped to manual shift if the kid wants to do it).

This will be the kid's first 4WD, and something he can haul hay with and do chores with.

Thanks everyone, as I always know I can count on TRS for great advice, you guys saved my Bronco 2 from destruction.

hank857

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
probably no more than $500 would be my guess. I was going to redo my 94 with a rebuilt engine and they go for around $2000 each (4.0). Not even sure you can find a 2.9 anymore so you would most likely be looking to replace the engine with another. Guy I know went with a rebuilt 4 cyl for his mazda this past summer already using oil!

So $500 might even be generous. Look at orielly or autozone for replacement engines, heads etc. then make your offer.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You can find a newer running one for cheaper around here. I agree with $500 or less for average body condition, which this one sounds like.

Richard

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
You can find a newer running one for cheaper around here. I agree with $500 or less for average body condition, which this one sounds like.

Richard
^^^What he said, Bro!!! Sounds like it might justl need a lot more work then you know since you can't drive it. Look around. I see really great deals on Ranger that are running and don't need anything. AutoTrader, local car adds.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Without being able to drive it you are basically buying scrap, therefore pay scrap prices for it. $500 would be the absolute most I would pay for it considering you need a new engine to start with. You know you'll find more issues as you dig in to it.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Honestly I wouldn't even buy it.

Unless its exactly the truck your looking for, and doing all that work is no big deal, its just not worth it at any price.

I paid $500 for both of my trucks, and they both drove me home from where I bought 'em. (88 and 89 b2s)

carbuff

Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Yes, keep in mind that if antifreeze got in the oil, it will ruin the bearings if left too long without being cleaned out. 5 or 6 years is a long time. Is the engine frozen, or does it turn over freely. Thats something you need to check.

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
that thing is rough...I would offer 500 and work towards that kind of price. No way its worth 1500 unless there is an extremely high demand for them in that area then it would make sense. Still wouldn't pay it though.

Edit: just saw the other info and if the engine is no good I wouldn't even offer 500. Maybe 200 if I really wanted it and I can salvage something on it like if it had decent tires or tranny....etc that I could make my money back in case it was junk. But if what i'm reading is correct that thing is junk and you should move on after telling the owner he is crazy for even thinking its worth 1/4 of what he is asking.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
$1500 is too much for a dead truck, the body is in really nice shape (to me) though.

I would rather rebuild an engine than do bodywork, luckily for me my truck needed/s both :yahoo:

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Id lowball starting at scrap price~200 and would not go over 400$ Bad engine isnt really an issue. Sitting for 5 yrs rusting and providing a home for mice is.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thinking about trying to talk the guy down to around $1k due to the truck has been sitting for 5-6 years since the head gasket blew
The only problem with this truck is the head gasket was recently blown.
Is the guy a rock or how is 5-6 years "recent"?

Lowballing the guy with scrap price compared to what he wants will probably just make him laugh in your face.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals