• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Off-road Tuned Shocks?

UCFKnightDiver

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
When Ford says that the FX4 package will come with "off-road tuned shocks/suspension", what exactly does that mean? Is it just marketing? Are they really different from the other trims? If so, how are they different?

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Like every other off-road or FX4 truck.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
In theory, your off road tuned shocks have less damping for slow speed compression/rebound and then an aggressive high speed damping in rebound and compression. They are also often one size larger diameter.

The idea being it allows tires to remain in contact with terrain off road i.e. rock crawling at extreme, while preventing suspension from bottoming out on bump stops while traveling over whoops at speed. The larger diameter decreases fade when running over uneven terrain.

It does have some negatives during on road driving - during cornering/braking the vehicle will tend to move more - roll/dive respectively. And ride over potholes*/expansion joints will tend to be rougher as you aren't getting as much suspension travel.

For OEMs, the differences will be minor. For the racing crowd, you can make some serious tuning changes with the high end shocks (up to 8 different bypass valves). There is a reason the Fox shocks on the Raptor cost ~10X what the stock ones do. It isn't all brand name.

*Assumes pothole wasn't so deep that the suspension max'd out. Things get really rough if you hit bump stops.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
The original 02 FX4 and 03+ FX4 Level II Rangers came from the factory with Bilstein shocks that were tuned to Ford specifications. I am pretty sure these were the only Rangers that came from the factory with Bilstein shocks. I thought they were a little too soft for off-road but did pretty well on pavement. At 100K miles the original shocks on my FX4 were worn and needed replacement. I elected to go with Bilstein shocks again but with the Bilstein tune. They were much more to my liking off-road and were still good on pavement. They have over 130K miles on them now and are still working well.

I have no idea what Ford is going to provide for shocks with the 2019 FX4 but I would guess they will be an upgrade from the non-FX4 models.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals