• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Truck wont start

93shortbox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
My 93 Ranger wouldn't start so I jumped it and if fired right up. I went inside while it warmed up and came out 20 minutes later and it was dead. so I jumped it again and it started right up puzzled I just hopped it and drove it strait home.
When I got home I turned it off and then turned the key to the ACC position and nothing worked lights, gauges, radio, anything electrical. I went inside for about 20 minutes out of frustration and then went back outside to take a look under the hood. I found nothing obvious but did notice the negative terminal was unusually hot especially for sitting outside in freezing temps for the past 20 minutes. Any ideas on what is going on?

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
was the terminal very loose? Cause it sounds very obviously like an electrical problem... Have you checked the battery for life? you may have a bad battery and your truck my only be getting power through the alternator and it died because the electrical load may become too much durning the A/C cycle and it shut off?

93shortbox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
the terminals are very tight. Also while driving it home I noticed my amp gauge jumping around more than normal bad ground? And I already ruled out the alternator it is cranking out 14.69 volts to the terminals. It baffles me the truck will work perfectly if I jump it but as soon as I shut it down absolutely nothing will work. If it is a bad ground were is the most likely culprit?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like the battery to me but you need to do a load no load test. First you need to fully charge the battery do a slow charge 2 amp for as long as it takes. while it is charging you need to look for shorts and clean all the grounds, Take them apart and sand them metal to metal and remove the battery or disconnect it when your charging it. Pull all the connectors apart and look for corrosion clean them and use some dielectric grease to put them together. The tech library has a section for testing your charging sysetem read it all the way through get a VOM and follow it step by step all three have to be working correct alt,reg and batt or you will be throwing money away if you just swap parts without verifying proper operation.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
+1 on the battery

93shortbox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Fixed it!!! Bad engine ground, it was almost corroded in half up next to the block. (Couldn't see it in the dark last night.) I replaced the whole wire from the block to the battery. Anyway thanks Earl43P for the schematics even though I didn't need them I appreciate the gesture.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals