• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Truck wont run right

88Turbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
soon to be 302
Transmission
Manual
Im not much of a genious for fuel injection systems, so heres the problem. My 96 ranger 2.3 eight plug 5 speed, just up and started working like crap one day. It often starts right up but it studders terriably and wont rev past 2 grand without cutting out and almost dieing. Then sometimes it'll shoot right up to 6 grand rev the for a few seconds then drop right back down and just about quit. Of course its nearly impossiable to move it working like this and its in the way oh another vehicle, so any help would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks guys,
Brett.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Im not much of a genious for fuel injection systems, so heres the problem. My 96 ranger 2.3 eight plug 5 speed, just up and started working like crap one day. It often starts right up but it studders terriably and wont rev past 2 grand without cutting out and almost dieing. Then sometimes it'll shoot right up to 6 grand rev the for a few seconds then drop right back down and just about quit. Of course its nearly impossiable to move it working like this and its in the way oh another vehicle, so any help would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks guys,
Brett.
check for codes.even pending codes........ try cleaning the MAF

DFracing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
plugged up fuel filter maybe

super91(2.3)

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/1996
Make / Model
ford/ford
Engine Size
2.3/ 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
compression test. the head gaskets/heads were known to be a weak point between the 1st and 2nd cylinders. if it comes back reading low and weird on 1 and 2, the head gasked is probably letting a little compression leak back and forth between the two. if it will sometimes run extremely rough and low rpm's, and other times run like a raped ape, thats my bet.

88Turbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
soon to be 302
Transmission
Manual
Shit, that sounds more like it than anything.... not what I wanted to hear haha but thanks for the info, all of you. Ill try the compression test first thing and if all reads well Ill try the other minor things. Ill give feedback as soon as I get the time to do it.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Shit, that sounds more like it than anything.... not what I wanted to hear haha but thanks for the info, all of you. Ill try the compression test first thing and if all reads well Ill try the other minor things. Ill give feedback as soon as I get the time to do it.
with the information gathered so far my guess is the compression test will come back fine...keep us posted

88Turbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
soon to be 302
Transmission
Manual
Still havent got a chance to check much, just pulled the truck out and was looking at the timing belt and stuff yesterday. The belt was really cracked, Is there any possiablity that the timing jumped?? Also somebody mentioned it may be a weak fuel pump... Just looking for all possiablitys before I dump any money into it.

88Turbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
soon to be 302
Transmission
Manual
Compression test was perfect, a 239,000km engine and 180lbs in all four. Could you give me your opinion on the post above?? Thanks guys.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Compression test was perfect, a 239,000km engine and 180lbs in all four. Could you give me your opinion on the post above?? Thanks guys.
1) make sure the CEL lights at koeo and then check for codes. even if your CEL is not on when running it could still have a pending code stored

2) do easy maintenance items like cleaning the MAF, cleaning the IACV, checking that the air intake is not clogged up, change the fuel filter. look for broken or disconnected vacuum lines

3) I would start preparing to do some fuel pressure test. You also could pull the vacuum hose off the fuel pressure regulator and make sure there is no fuel in it.

Last edited:

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Still havent got a chance to check much, just pulled the truck out and was looking at the timing belt and stuff yesterday. The belt was really cracked, Is there any possiablity that the timing jumped?? Also somebody mentioned it may be a weak fuel pump... Just looking for all possiablitys before I dump any money into it.
-if the belt jumped most likely the trouble would be more consistent..........that being said the first step to do in any DX of a vehicle is to CHECK FOR TROUBLE CODES

-if you have an android phone you can turn it into a nice scanner for about $20

-I bought a code reader for $20 3 years ago it works great.

-it could be a fuel pressure issue.....a lot of times no codes will be thrown when this happens..........check for codes and do the simple maintenance items and get back to us

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
if you need help on how to do any of the maintenance like cleaning the maf or changing the fuelfilter let me know and i will be glad to work you thought it.......I don't want to bother posting how to's, etc if you don't need them...

88Turbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
soon to be 302
Transmission
Manual
A buddy of mine suggested I do a fuel presure test because he didnt like the way the pump sounded. Well she ended up pushing 20psi, which I know isnt good... So looks like a new fuel pump tomorrow and ill see what happens. Ill get back to you guys. And thanks for all he info, but I havent been on the computer in a few days and this is the first im seeing of it now lol

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
A buddy of mine suggested I do a fuel presure test because he didnt like the way the pump sounded. Well she ended up pushing 20psi, which I know isnt good... So looks like a new fuel pump tomorrow and ill see what happens. Ill get back to you guys. And thanks for all he info, but I havent been on the computer in a few days and this is the first im seeing of it now lol
You probably will not be back here until you have replaced the pump......and it most likely is the pump..........but I hope your buddy told you to swap out the fuel filter before you did the pressure test........and a bottle of techron never hurt either

* Please listen up future boys and girls reading this thread.......any time you are diagnosing an issue with your vehicle........do it in a logical manner........post your issue and then gather the information and then try and DX it it systematically a lot of times simple maintenance will take care of an issue like this..........and for any issue like this you should always check codes first.........it takes about 3 minutes to check for codes and can save lots of time and money!!....

Last edited:

88Turbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
soon to be 302
Transmission
Manual
You were right lol Im not on here much, so I cant get your opinions right away! But it did end up being the pump after all. The trucks working better than ever. Thanks again for all your help though, its deffently taught me something for future problems I may have! And Im sorry if it seems like I was just watsing your time on here, like I said not on here much and just went ahead and put the pump on. All that really matters though is its working great now and we'll have another ranger back on the road for years to come.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals