• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

is it really necessary to remove upper intake to remove valve covers?

gdk771

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have oil leaks on my valve covers on my 96 Ranger 4.0. I was looking at the engine and it appears I can remove the valve covers without removing the upper intake like I have heard. The drivers side will be tight and the EGR tube from upper intake will have to be removed. Has anyone done this before or should I just plan to remove the upper intake also?

I was also curious if I should attempt to replace the pushrods / rocker arms? This engine has had a light tick since it had 140k on it. It currently has 215k but the tick has stayed the same level the past 12 years so mabey I should just leave well enough alone.

Thanks

Last edited:

rolltide6019

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I don't know if its possible or not but removing the intake is pretty simple; my 18 year old son did it twice yesterday trying to solve an issue. Takes him about 15 minutes to remove it. Once its off, you have a lot more room to work with. Just my opinion.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
To do the passenger side no, it is pretty easy to get off with the intake on.

The driver's side valve cover can't be removed with the intake in place. There isn't really any way to get to the inboard bolts, but there also isnt enough room to clear the rocker arms with the intake in the way.

But as was said, that intake is very easy to remove, even with EGR it only takes a few mintues to get it off.

gdk771

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
OK Thanks for the replies guys...

I will go ahead and remove the intake then. Just need to get some intake gaskets

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals