• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1996 3.0L Slave Cylinder and Clutch Master Cylinder

tharpka28

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey everyone,

So I have been having issues finding quality slave cylinders and clutch master cylinders for my 1996 RWD 3.0L Ranger. About 5 years ago we had the clutch and pressure plate replaced, and about 2 years later had the slave cylinder go out on us. When we went to replace it, we found out they had a pressure plate and clutch in there for a 4.0L. We replaced the clutch, pressure plate, slave cylinder, master cylinder and figured it was good to go. We got the slave and master cylinder from AutoZone. Six months later the slave cylinder went bad. We replaced the slave and master cylinder again, this time from O'Reilly's. About a month later the slave went out and left me stranded. We replaced both the slave and master cylinder again (once again using O'reilly parts), and now the master cylinder is going bad.

Does anyone have suggestions on good quality slave and clutch master cylinders? It is so much work to replace them each time that if I have to do it again, I might just have to get rid of the Ranger, and that would absolutely kill me.

Thanks a ton for the help.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Rhino pack through RockAuto I'm on 3 months now complete pre bled setup slave master and line.

What's making these things go out so soon? something tells me something else is wrong. when you say the slave cylinder goes out, what do you mean? Air? Leak? Connection?

tharpka28

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Okay, thank you a bunch! I will definitely check that out.

The slave cylinder keeps developing leaks. When we took the last one out we pushed down on it, and it did not move smoothly as it should. It took a lot of pressure to initially get it to move and then it pretty much just snapped down like it was sticking at the top. That could have partially been from the fluid being on it after taking it out, I'm not sure, but overall it just felt like a really cheap part. Same thing with the master cylinder, just really cheap plastic construction that makes you feel like it would break if you pushed down on the clutch pedal wrong.

I'm not sure what else could be wrong, the clutch and pressure plate are definitely correct now, so I can't think off the top of my head what else could be causing it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals