• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Check engine light vs flashing 'O/D off'

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Oddball question, I've had the 'O/D off' light flashing intermittently for the past few weeks. I know the issue, P0750 bad shift solenoid. It's been shifting fine so I wasn't in a rush to fix it. Today the 'O/D off' light started flashing again and like usual I pretended it wasn't happening until it stopped after a minute or so. Then the check engine light came on and is staying on. I figured, great now whats up... Pulled the codes and still only shows one code, P0750. This threw me because I thought the check engine light didnt come on for transmission codes? Thats what the flashing OD off light is for? So does the check engine light mean its now an active code or something? I dont really care about the actual problem, i can fix the solenoid. Just curious how the computer "reports" issues like this.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Computer controls the transmission and sets the codes.
If its programmed to turn on the CEL for a code it will do that.
It doesn't turn on the CEL for many codes until they are repeated several times, and during the same engine conditions.
And a set code will eventually clear if it isn't repeated.

Since you have OD light flashing then computer detects a fault and a code is set, up to computer software on how many occurrences it will allow before turning on CEL.

And trans may "feel" like its running fine, but clutch or brake(band) could be slipping
P0750 - Shift solenoid A malfunction
Malfunction means computer doesn't know exact problem, but its not electrical, solenoid is passing correct voltage, but when used it isn't closing or opening all the way every time, so is malfunctioning

And the CEL could mean computer now thinks its important enough to get it looked at, its detecting more slipping, the ratio is drifting for selected gear

The solenoid can OHM test OK, but says its internal spring is broken, so it can active but doesn't return fully when deactivated, so passages are left partially open that should be closed

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals